PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing (or have done) for High School? Hits and Misses.

Alice R
04-19-2013, 10:00 PM
We need a thread just to toss around High School experiences/thoughts/opinions/hits and misses.

IEW was good.
Teaching Textbooks (TT) has been very good. (we are stuck but that's not the compnay's fault)
SOTW for history
Apologia for science.

I ordered Math Relief for our algebra drama. :eyes:

Merrilee Morse
04-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Susan Wise Bauer has a new series of histories written for adults that are simply excellent. The next in the series comes out in August. We have done the History of the Ancient World and History of the Medieval World, and found them excellent and very entertaining. We also enjoyed doing Hewitt Homeschooling's Medieval literature pack. Their writing program that goes along with the readings is quite good and good college prep. Ryan felt that the Sonlight 100 American History we did was a waste of space for the most part; he felt the reading was much too simplistic for high school level which was what led us to Hewitt this year, but we are going back to Sonlight for next year and I am just being way pickier about the books we choose. We did not care for Apologia at all, it just wasn't for our family. Teaching Textbooks has been a good fit up until now, but Ryan's tutor feels that the pace is too slow and bogging him down, so we will be switching to Saxon. I am way too eclectic to be held into any one curriculum choice for long; I take a bit from Ambleside Online, a bit from Sonlight, A bit from Hewitt, and throw in books and music and poetry that I enjoy myself.

Rachel Jane
04-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Hits:
OYAN
WinterPromise themed guides
Blue Stocking Press Economics and Govt.
The Lord of the Rings Literary Guide
The online Physics course from MIT
High School Chemistry in your Home
Life of Fred

Misses:
Apologia Chemistry
Rosetta Stone Russian

Medium:
Rosetta Stone Spanish

Heather (WI)
04-21-2013, 01:13 AM
We're using "Heart of Dakota" www.heartofdakota.com for high school. It is a Charlotte-Mason style curriculum that is full of great literature (like FIAR), and is all scheduled for you on a 4-day week (for the higher grades). So, we can do FIAR ("Hitty") on Fridays when we do not have other activities scheduled (i.e. field trips, etc.)

We also love Apologia for science here. :)

Leslie Nelsen
04-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Some of this is so dependent on the student, kwim? Some of the things that didn't work for my oldest, were a hit with my daughter. I guess it isn't something you "figure out" once necessarily. (Not saying that to discourage, but rather to encourage you that its alright if things change even from year to year! :group: )

Notgrass History - We have liked this but my oldest wished for more depth on other cultures in the world history
Bluestocking Press guides to economics - Like these a lot
Apologia - We have used Biology, Chemistry (my daughter is loving this!), Human Anatomy and Marine Biology and liked them all.
Anne of Green Gables study - Rebecca loved this and we were delighted to find a unit study for high school. Great!
Lord of the Rings - My oldest enjoyed this though we did not do all of the extra components
Rosetta Stone - We have used this but I'm not thrilled with it. Really need to be self motivated I think, to get through this.
Summit Ministries - Love their worldview materials.
Math - Mostly we've used MUS which as been great. (My daughter who has used this exclusively also did well on the math portion of the SAT which I've heard some had concerns about.) My son used TT for his last two courses as he got stuck and this worked for him.

Spectrum Chemistry - This was alright but didn't like it nearly as much as we did Rainbow Science for the earlier grades.

Can't think of anything I'm missing, but I'm sure that there is something. ;)

Loree'
04-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Rosetta Stone Russian was a miss, but Rosetta Stone German has been a hit.

Apologia Chemistry was a miss, but Apologia Biology & Physics were hits.

Teaching Textbooks & Math U See were hits.

Becky in CA
04-22-2013, 05:58 PM
The last few years have consisted of: LLATL and Wordsmith series for English, TT for math, ACE for history/social studies and science, and Latin's Not So Tough. (We might be switching to ACE for geometry after we finish TT Algebra 2.) We've used various things for other electives/health. These seem to be consistent core items.

CJ
04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
I so wish we could afford IEW - it looks wonderful!

Hits:

Teaching Textbooks
SOS for helping out with electives
Once in a while, a LifePac
Tapping in to locals for interning, job shadowing, apprenticing, lessons, tutoring
Seterra

Misses:

Hands On Essays
Apologia
Saxon
SOS Math anything
Rosetta Stone
Trail Guide to World Geography

Susan Seaman
05-02-2013, 04:40 PM
IEW was a hit with one of mine - esp. their Windows to the World Lit review. I had two kids who didn't like it. Even though they didn't like it, they did learn.
OYAN - a miss with Nathan because he didn't like the Prisoner of Zenda which he used as an example, I personally think he didn't give it a chance
Saxon - worked for all of them
Apologia Physical Science, Biology, and Physics (I think the Chemistry is good as well, but my daughter took it at Community College and my next oldest will be taking it at the co-op where I teach it, we're using Abeka)
Bluestocking guides for Economics and Government
Starting Points Worldview - a miss with my daughter, perhaps we just got off to a bad start

Miranda.in.WA
05-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Not yet mentioned but worked well for us:
HOW history from Konos
Write Shop
Rosetta stone Spanish
Dave Ramsey personal finance for teens

Abeka DVD programs:
Enjoyable by my ds2
geography, health, Hebrew history

Working thru English 9 DVD....he says the teacher is good, but it is a LOT of work for this one subject...

Hope
05-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Successes:

Bright Ideas Press Illuminations
Write Shop 1 & 2
BJU Geography
BJU American History
BJU English 9 & 10
Math-U-See
Teaching Textbooks

Flops:

BJU Spanish 1
Apologia Physical Science

Nedra in California
05-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Big hits:

Apologia Science
Teaching Textbooks
Rosetta Stone
Cornerstone Curriculum's "Starting Points" and "Worldviews" for high school

Laura Lee
05-25-2013, 05:32 PM
My son did Apologia Physical Science as well. He loved reading it, but it has a lot of Math in it and he doesn't like Math so I think he's going to like Biology next year a lot better. So, what I am saying is, it may not be "Apologia" that was a miss for some, but the subject matter. My nephew, in public school, hated physical science.

Donna in MO
05-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Some of this is so dependent on the student, kwim? Some of the things that didn't work for my oldest, were a hit with my daughter.

I'm finding the same thing here. :yes: The one thing that has been a hit with both girls is Math-U-See, and the one thing that's been a miss with both girls is MFW AHL. Although dd #2 has done better with AHL during the first semester than dd #1 did. But that could be circumstances... things were very different three years ago, and my oldest had a LOT on her plate all at once. (Including emotional/family stuff.) In both cases, however, I have tweaked/will tweak the second half of AHL to death, so I won't even bother to go there again with dd #3. :unsure:

"Notgrass History - We have liked this but my oldest wished for more depth on other cultures in the world history"

DD #1 has had the same reaction. She ended up doing both World and American from Notgrass, and still feels like something is missing. She's going to push through and finish American this summer so that she can do a world geography & culture study for 12th grade. The Notgrass books themselves are fine, but do seem to need something "more". For us, anyway, because history, geography, and cultures are high priority subjects at our house. Notgrass high school doesn't include geography at all.

"Anne of Green Gables study - Rebecca loved this and we were delighted to find a unit study for high school. Great!"

Yes! Kayla was THRILLED to find Where the Brook and River Meet! (I assume that's the one you mean, Leslie?) Unfortunately she didn't do the whole thing because I was letting her do it pretty independently, and she's a very social girl needing a lot of interaction, so it just sort of got neglected after a while. DD #2 has requested to do WBRM next (rather than finishing MFW AHL since I'm going to chop it up, anyway), so I'm hoping this will be another one of those rare items that are hits for both of these girls.

"Rosetta Stone - We have used this but I'm not thrilled with it. Really need to be self motivated I think, to get through this."

Ditto. DD is doing RS Spanish and not liking it... having a hard time being motivated to do it. She really wants a program that's more grammar-focused, as well as a "real" teacher to interact with rather than computer based. I'm hesitant to get Rosetta Stone for dd #2 who wants to do German, but since she generally prefers different things than her sister, maybe it'll be a better fit. It's a lot of money to spend based on "hope", though. :eyes:

"Summit Ministries - Love their worldview materials. "

:yes: At least from what we can tell. We have Thinking Like a Christian, but haven't actually used it yet. It's on the table for the fall schedule.

"Math - Mostly we've used MUS which as been great. (My daughter who has used this exclusively also did well on the math portion of the SAT which I've heard some had concerns about.) "

Agreeing with Leslie again! :D MUS is a HUGE hit at our house for Pre-Algebra and up. We were using Saxon before that, which was a BIG miss. :perplex:

Other hits at our house have been:

Apologia Biology
Chemistry 101
BJU American Lit
Writers INC as a go-to source
Land of Fair Play (the publisher schedules it in 8th grade, but my dd used it as part of our self-designed Government course for high school)

Other misses:

Apologia Physical (miss for dd #1, but dd #2 liked it even though she struggled with the math portions because she hadn't completed Pre-Alg yet)
MFW high school in general

I wish we would've done a straight English program and not tried to tie it so closely to our history studies. Some tie-ins are good (and necessary, I think), but All.The.Time. got really old. I think the rest of high school will go better for everyone than it has up to this point. Too much experimenting with the "lab rat" firstborn. ;) But hey, now we know!