View Full Version : Curriculum to use with a 6th and 8th grader?

Leslie Nelsen
04-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm finishing up Beyond with my two middle boys and looking to see if there is something I could use with both of them next year. We have loved doing unit studies and I would love to keep them together if possible, knowing that they will have to split up some with some subjects in the high school years.

The oldest of the two loves to read and is interested in wars - particularly WWII. The youngest also enjoys history and is becoming more of a reader. He has had some learning struggles, but not usually in the areas covered by unit studies.

What do y'all recommend?

A couple of things I've seen here that I will look into are:

Winter Promise
Lightening Lit (though would this just be for the older one?)

We are going to continue with our Beyond FIAR co-op group next year and do one semester of Shakespeare and the other with 2 books (not yet selected). I've thought of trying to flesh out my own unit studies with these, but not sure if I'll be able to do that or not. We have also talked about doing this as a group and just need to find time for getting it done, kwim? We are all busy homeschooling moms. :D Are there good Shakespeare studies that focus on just one play?

Just thought I'd ask to see if there were other ideas out there. Thanks for any help you can give.

04-22-2013, 07:16 AM
I've used Learning Adventures: A World of Adventure after BY. It's a great unit study if you're willing to read to/with your kids, and if they are willing to read on their own. It covers pretty much every subject except math, but you can easily drop any of those subjects if you don't want to do them (except history and literature).

The 6 unit study takes you from Ancient Egypt through the Age of Exploration, and it took us 1.5 years to do that. You could probably do it in one school year if you cut some things or didn't take much time off.

Rachel Jane
04-22-2013, 07:55 AM

My guys loved the Adventures in Sea and Sky. We did it at 5th and 7th, but it is completely appropriate for your age level.

Kendra AU
04-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Winter Promise is something that's enjoyable, as Rj said, but also very simple to combine children with. It makes a beautiful transition from FIAR & our boys loved it too. :) They have a lot to choose from so you could decide what they both want to learn about. We did their American History, are working through their Geography & Animal cores, & next year we'll have one doing one of the Ancients & one doing Sea & Sky.

Donna H
04-28-2013, 06:05 PM
We used Learning Adventures the year after my oldest was done with Beyond. We all really enjoyed it! :thumb:

04-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Further Up and Further In (http://www.lamppostpublishing.com/further_up.htm) is a great study for this age, unless you've already done Narnia that is. It studies WWII plus some Shakespeare as well.

Heather W
04-29-2013, 10:47 AM
You might like Time Travelers (http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TTS/) from Homeschool in the Woods.

Amanda Bennett Unit Studies- a variety of topics that last four weeks long

The Lion Preparatory Academy (http://blogshewrote.org/2011/03/16/lion-prep/)- great unit study on the Narnia series. The link is to my blog, but if you want to buy it let me know and I can get you in touch with the author.

Prairie Primer- a lot of adventure there and things to study

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing about WP is that it immerses you in that timeline/topic for an entire school year. Lovely stuff really! But there you are for the entire year!

Excellent transition from BY other than not switching things up in terms of theme.

04-29-2013, 10:45 PM
If you'd like, I will be happy to send you the unit study I wrote using the YWAM bio of Douglas MacArthur. It covers lots of war history! We did it the year Jason & Aaron were 7th & 8th, if I remember correctly.

Paige P
05-01-2013, 07:15 AM
The Learning Adventures looks great :thumb: (I'm trying to figure a way to bring my girls back together next year -- 7th and 5th next year). I've considered SL, but I think it's just too much for my 5th grader.

Is Learning Adventures a lot like Story of the World, though? I know STOW has a lot of reading recommendations, and I own it (just haven't used it). I'd hate to replicate something that I already have...... Opinions?

Leslie Nelsen
05-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Thank you all sooooo much! It is so helpful to have so many choices and especially ones that will fit well after finishing so many years of FIAR and BY! I really like the idea of a unit study and keeping the boys together for at least one more year.

Learning Adventures - Did you start with Volume 1? Does it matter if you want to start with a different one? Just curious.

Winter Promise - That one does look like fun too. :) Like the Sea and Sky one too.

Further Up and Further In - We have not studied Narnia - Just read them and loved them! I like the tie ins idea with things they are interested in!

Time Travellers could be fun. I like the WWII idea. Would obviously need to piece this with other things, but it is a good option for me to remember too.

Heather - Did you use the Lion one? Thoughts on that one? Is it more lit based as opposed to unit studies?

Loree' - YES! I would love that please! I really do want to take this year to incorporate some of the things that they are really excited about and I know that this would be one of them!

I need to spend some time going through these and also talking more with my boys about it. Did y'all have your children helping to choose the next step? Just wondering how this looked with others. I have let my oldest 2 do some of the choosing and so far that has worked well!

Thank you all so very much for all of the help and suggestions!!! :group: :group:

Heather W
05-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Lion Prep is really good- it lots of disciplines not just literature. Just really well written. I think you'd like it.

05-01-2013, 04:15 PM
We used World of Adventure when the boys were in 4th & 5th. We really liked it.

I posted on your Facebook wall about the Douglas file.

Leslie Nelsen
05-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks Heather. That helps to know.

Loree - Sent a message back to you. Thank you! Looking forward to seeing it!

I'm thankful to have choices and just want to pick something that is going to be fun! This may be the last year that they are doing the bulk of their work together as the oldest is ready for more challenges than the younger one can handle so I'm sure things will separate when he gets to high school.

Kendra AU
05-02-2013, 12:10 AM
We have a child using Sea & Sky next year, he's psyched about it. ;)

05-02-2013, 08:19 AM
Is Learning Adventures a lot like Story of the World, though? I know STOW has a lot of reading recommendations, and I own it (just haven't used it). I'd hate to replicate something that I already have...... Opinions?
I haven't used Story of the World. If you have specific questions on Learning Adventures, I can probably help with those, though! Learning Adventures is complete (except for math). It covers everything, not just history.

Learning Adventures - Did you start with Volume 1? Does it matter if you want to start with a different one? Just curious.

We started with the beginning (Ancient Egypt) because not much ancient history is covered in FIAR or BY, and that's all we had done up until that point. We had never done chronological history, and we'd never covered much early history at all, so we started at the beginning.

Nedra in California
05-02-2013, 11:01 PM
My Father's World. LOVE it!

Heather (WI)
05-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Similar to Winter Promise and MFW is the curriculum we've been using for the past 3 years (and for this coming school year): Heart of Dakota www.heartofdakota.com
It is a Charlotte-Mason style curriculum that is nicely planned out for you each day and covers everything: Bible, Literature, History, Math, Science, Nature, Art, Music Appreciation, Poetry, actual historical documents (for the older grades), etc. We love it!
(Plus, it's based on a 4-day week, so we can still use "Above and BYFIAR" on Fridays!!) :)