PDA

View Full Version : LOF for high school?

Rebe
04-30-2013, 12:34 PM
I've been to the LOF website, but thought I'd ask here, too.

Dd is finishing TT Algebra 1 this year (8th grade). I bought LOF for her younger brothers, and she's reading them like novels. :lol: She loves them and wants to know if she can do LOF Geometry next year instead of TT.

The website seems to say that you need to do LOF Beginning Algebra followed immediately by Advanced Algebra, and THEN Geometry, etc. And it also seems to say that you'd better do both algebra books even if you've already done Algebra 1 with another program. Is that accurate?

I told her that she's already a year "ahead" in math and it's okay with me if she wants to do LOF Beginning Algebra next year in 9th -- I'm assuming that Beginning is a full year and Advanced is a full year (is that right)? Then she could do Geometry in 11th and whatever comes next in 12th.

So who's using LOF for high school? Do I understand it correctly? Have you liked it and is it a good, complete high school program? Dd is pretty good in math -- not hugely mathy but she doesn't detest it like two of her brothers do. Probably she'd do okay with most math programs.

I didn't even look at the LOF high school books at our recent conference, so I don't really know anything about them! One very important question I have is, are there answers, fully explained, somewhere? Because I can't "teach" higher math (that's a big reason I've been using TT).

Susan Seaman
05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
I've looked at LOF for Geometry but decided not to use it. I think we're just going to stick with Saxon and skip geometry as a formal course. I know lots of people like LOF, but I don't think it's a good fit for us. It's so different than other approaches - and I really do appreciate the creativity - I just don't think it's the way I would want to learn math. If your daughter is interested, I say go for it! There is an answer key, if that makes your decision easier.

Rebe
05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Susan. I guess not many people have used LOF for high school.

Not sure what we'll do. I might use it instead for the younger boys, since they'll be more used to the style (assuming we keep with it).

Rachel Jane
05-03-2013, 07:40 AM
I have used/am using LOF for high school. My kids are fairly math brained, especially the older one, so I don't need to participate in it. Jer did VERY well on the math section of the SAT. That said, when he started geometry, he felt like he wasn't getting it, so I had him watch a teaching video from the library to match the language to LOF. After that, he was excellent at it. Know that this is a kid that thinks he is doing poorly if he isn't getting an A. We also used Wolf Ram (I think it is called) to see the steps of certain algebra questions and I think Khan academy may have been involved too. I gave math over to them in high school.

Heather W
05-03-2013, 03:59 PM
I use it too. Here's a link to what's happening with Fred in our homeschool. If you have more questions, I'm happy to answer them.http://bit.ly/Yd12tG

Rebe
05-03-2013, 04:26 PM
I use it too. Here's a link to what's happening with Fred in our homeschool. If you have more questions, I'm happy to answer them.http://bit.ly/Yd12tG

What an informative blog post! Thanks so much. It was esp. helpful just for figuring out what I'm doing with my ds's who are 6 and 11, and using LOF right now.

I don't think I'm mathy enough to handle LOF geometry right now -- esp. if my dd just drops into it without having the earlier levels first. But if my younger boys keep at it, they could end up there. Dd says she's fine with staying with TT. I think she's a little worried about changing horses in the middle of the stream. But she's still enjoying reading their books -- can't beat that!

Laura JL
05-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Our first experience w/ LOF was when I purchased Geometry for my mathy dd. We only made it through the first 4-5 chapters and she was in tears bec it didn't make sense to her. I gave up and got her TT Geometry which she and I both loved and I ended up understanding Geometry for the first time in my life -- whether it was my brain had matured and understood or whether it was they way it was presented I don't know. I also realized the following year when talking to another mom about our experience that I probably should have had her go through the Alg books for LOF before the Geometry coming from a different program. Now she's had TT Alg II (which she really liked) and is in Pre-Calc --- we're now pulling out the LOF Geometry books and she's liking them for review of Geometry before she takes the SAT. My two boys I've started at lower levels so I'm thinking it's possible it might work.

Leslie Nelsen
05-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Heather - Thanks for the review post on LOF! That was helpful for me too. I have one who struggles with math and we are using LOF with him. I wasn't sure if it was "enough" to stand alone though so this is helpful.

Do you have them narrate on the same day that they read the book? Do they do it daily? Do you have them reread the lessons/pages at any point? We are in the early books so you would go through them really quickly at a lesson a day, kwim? (We are in Goldfish.)

Heather W
05-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Leslie, they read everyday (for the most part) and they tell me about it and we go over it the same day. I'll have them redo it if they need to.

As for re-reading, yes when they get stuck on a bridge (my daughter is in the Bridge books) I have her re-read before trying again. That's one of the ways we go over it again.

My second grader goes fast too, although we take our time and play games, etc along the way so he might not do a lesson each day. I have the entire series up through geometry so I'm not worried about him going to the next book too soon- or not having the book he's going into.

Leslie Nelsen
05-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks! I had wondered about running out. Will stop thinking that though if there are lots more to follow. :) And this is with my struggling student so that wouldn't be a bad thing to move quickly if he is getting it. :)