PDA

View Full Version : High School Chemistry

Ami
05-13-2013, 11:49 AM
We were going to go with Apologia Chemistry next year, but looked into High School Chemistry in Your Home after RJ listed it as "hit" in their homeschool. Can anyone (including RJ), tell me more about how this worked for you?

Recommendations for other Chemistry courses appreciated!

Rachel Jane
05-13-2013, 01:03 PM
what do you mean by how? How did we feel about it or how we used the curricula?

Ami
05-13-2013, 01:28 PM
What did you and/or your ds particularly like about it compared to Apologia? How did you use it?

Rachel Jane
05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
The following was written by Luke. I am not sure why he decided to write it as if he was me. :lol:

Luke felt that the Apologia curriculum had two major issues.

The first was how convoluted the terminology and teaching was. His process was as such: Read subject matter. Convert subject matter into modern terminology. Use outside sources for actual learning.

The second major issue he had with it was how it presented itself. He felt it did its best to connect everything into its specific Christian worldview, ignoring certain aspects of chemistry, and using less than accurate information in order to support its worldview.

Note I haven't read the apologia myself, and he only had access to the lab manual and the computer software.

He likes HSCfyH as it is simply questions and labs: All the actual learning comes through searching out the information via books and internet, so he can control what sources he uses, and ensure that they are unbiased and up to date.

me again: I only participate when he needs clarification of the concepts or wants me to participate in the labs. I do grade his work. HSCfyH is all about research and experimenting. The answers are not found for you, you must search them out yourself. Jeremy also used this and learned and remembered more than having it spoon fed through a book.

Trudy
05-13-2013, 05:08 PM
I was not looking for chemistry yet, but I think, thanks to you RJ, that I have made my decision for what we will use in a couple of years. What grade did your boys use it?

Rachel Jane
05-13-2013, 05:31 PM
~Each used it for the 11th grade year. It is very student reliant.

Trudy
05-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks RJ. I sent you a private message.

Ami
05-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks RJ and Luke! I was not looking forward to Apologia Chemistry with this particular child, but this curriculum sounds like it might suit him much, much better.

Heather W
05-13-2013, 08:20 PM
We are using CK-12 Chemistry. It's an open source textbook with a lab manual, etc. You can email for the teacher's edition link and answers. It's been robust and FREE.

http://www.ck12.org/chemistry/

Kelly K
05-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I was planning on using Spectrum. I'll have to look into this.

Ami
05-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Ck-12 looks like a terrific resource, Heather. Thanks for the link!

Trudy
05-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Heather, Ck-12 looks like a great resource. Thanks for sharing. :clap:

Heather W
05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
You're welcome. There is the occasional error in the teacher's answers, but my husband likes it. He's a chemical engineer. He knows chemistry, but he wanted a solid text and he likes this a LOT.

He especially likes that it is free.

What's nice too is that they embed videos in within the text for extra reinforcement. the videos are from all over and include even things like Bill Nye the Science Guy.

We use Calibre as a reader and it does really well. You can also put it on your Kindle ....for those interested in how we interface with it.

Trudy
05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Heather, have you used any of the other courses on there?

Heather W
05-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Heather, have you used any of the other courses on there?

Not yet, but we plan to use it next year for biology. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing, if my husband thinks the concept needs more reinforcement, he assigns the same topic from Khan Academy and he watches it there.

It's been a very good experience and they have different levels of course work. My ninth grader is doing the honors equivalent.

Also, Dan takes the book and makes a grid for assignments. So, we pace the work for our student. And he takes the quizzes/tests and mixes them up to make one review sheet and one quiz/test from the same set of questions.

This summer I plan to take the time to pace out biology. I'm going for a four day schedule with Fridays devoted to research and writing abstracts on various topics.

Julie in AZ
05-14-2013, 01:24 PM
This is an interesting discussion. We're looking at chemistry for next year too. I think my ds will take the Landry Academy chemistry labs (http://landryacademy.com/lab-intensives.htm).

Susan Seaman
05-14-2013, 03:01 PM
I have used Abeka Chemistry and Apologia Chemistry in teaching for two different co-ops this year. It was interesting to compare the strengths of both texts. Apologia was tougher on the math - Abeka was much more practical. I'm surprised that RJ's son found the Apologia text to be too biased in it's approach. This comes through in their general science, physical science and biology texts - but not really in this one.

I decided to teach with the Abeka text next year. I pull in from other texts or online sources when I think they explain it better. I plan on using some of the CK-12 and Khan academy stuff as supplements. Another tool you might want to consider is explorelearning.com. They have some very cool simulations, and you can use it free for a month. I learned a lot myself in doing the "Gizmos" on there.

Meg
05-16-2013, 01:05 AM
My 17 year old didn't really agree with the Apologia review given earlier. He is now doing Advanced Chemistry and has had to check something on Khan Academy as the explanation wasn't clear enough. He is strong in maths and has commented that some of the Saxon Maths equivalents are a little different to what he has learned in Advanced Physics and in the Chemistry. Apologia is a rigorous curriculum. As with most things different presentations of material appeal to different people.
His opinion is that in all science curriculum there will be a world view bias.

Meg

Rachel Jane
05-16-2013, 05:09 AM
As with most things different presentations of material appeal to different people.

Meg

agree with this statement 100%.

Laura JL
05-16-2013, 09:44 AM
We started out w/ Spectrum Chemistry and Queen's Homeschool Further Investigations. DD hated Spectrum so I switched her to Prentice Hall Chemistry which she says is much meatier tan Spectrum but has better explanations. I like the looks of the CK-12 and thought about it for ds but wondered about the grade level listing when I pull up details it shows Chemistry for grade 7,8,9. I have to be sure what I select is clearly listed as appropriate high school levels for NCAA eligibility reasons.

Linda
05-16-2013, 10:34 AM
My 17 year old didn't really agree with the Apologia review given earlier. He is now doing Advanced Chemistry and has had to check something on Khan Academy as the explanation wasn't clear enough. He is strong in maths and has commented that some of the Saxon Maths equivalents are a little different to what he has learned in Advanced Physics and in the Chemistry. Apologia is a rigorous curriculum. As with most things different presentations of material appeal to different people.
His opinion is that in all science curriculum there will be a world view bias.

Meg

My daughter has been working through Apologia Chemistry, she loves it. She also reads some living books to go along w/ the science text. I agree w/ what Meg and Susan have said, every text has a worldview bias. There is plenty of secular science out there, everywhere, that she is getting a variety of views. I'm not that concerned that Apologia is unapologetically Christian, young earth biased. (and to be honest, I don't know how often it comes up in her chem text? :unsure: I'll ask her)

We switched her to Saxon Alg in March, she has two more chapters to go and she's done. She loves saxon and wished we had gone that route earlier. :spin:

She's doing both Chem and Alg on her own. We check her tests and labs, but she is doing it all self taught. She has A's in both classes right now so the methods in these texts really do well for her learning style. Other Alg we used, Life of Fred (just found out she did read through all of the alg book. She loved the story. Not sure how much math she did through it though) and Alex math, which I didn't think was really working well, but with the way she's breezed through Saxon's Alg, I'm thinking it must have been teaching her something! :lol:

Next year she'll be doing Apologia Physics through an online class. I'm interested to see how she does at someone else's pace. ;)