PDA

View Full Version : high school literature recommendations ?

AmyinWI
05-15-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm looking for a high school lit program for my son, soon to be a senior. I've tried LLATL,and am not that interested in trying that with this student.
I was thinking something more computer based (although it doesn't have to be) and something that would interest a boy that is not thrilled at the idea of another lit course. :eyes:

Hollie in SC
05-15-2013, 02:12 PM
We're trying Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings this year at my son's request.
http://www.homescholar.org/LOTR%20Curr.htm

Rebe
05-15-2013, 05:10 PM
My ds has had it up to HERE with literature (sniff, sniff). He's so over it -- he mostly doesn't like writing the essays that often go with it. The reading, he's more okay with.

But anyway, since he's taking harder math, science, and social studies in 12th grade, we're going lighter in English. We're finally going to do Movies as Literature, which I bought a few years back but never used. It's about 15 movies that they study as literature, and it's a full credit. There's a workbook that goes with it. He's looking forward to it.

Hollie in SC
05-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Rebe, a friend just gave that to me and I'm looking forward to using it down that road. :)

AmyinWI
05-15-2013, 08:47 PM
I actually have "Movies as Literature" Forgot about that! I was thinking I would need to focus on American literature this year (he just finished British Lit).
would that qualify?

Meg
05-16-2013, 12:52 AM
This is not perhaps directly LA but, I had my 17 year old son do the program in Bravewriter's Highschool Help.
He said this was the best "English" curriculum he had done.
He has recently completed the program. I was uninvolved and just gave occasional nudges and inquiries as to whether writing was happening.
Julie Bogart has a certain knack of communicating with highschool students. Otherwise you may want to look at her online courses.

Meg