PDA

View Full Version : Is there a foreign language program that really, truly, provides ....

Ami
05-20-2013, 10:39 AM
a solid high school credit that can be guided through by a mom who doesn't speak the language? :spin: German and Spanish are the languages we are interested in.

Hollie in SC
05-20-2013, 11:14 AM
I've been looking, too. We finally settled on Switched on Schoolhouse for this year BUT I did take Spanish in high school and college and one of my best pals is fluent in Spanish.

I don't know where your budget is, but have you considered an online class or a local co-op? Potter's School and Landry Academy are two I looked at. Homeschool Spanish Academy (http://homeschoolspanishacademy.com/howitworks) impressed me the most of all the options that I've looked into. However, I needed something flexible this year as Eli is taking several classes at a local co-op. If we don't like what we're doing this year, then I'll move him into the co-op Spanish 1 class next year. This year we had a conflict.

ETA: Obviously everything I've mentioned is based on research and not experience. ;)

Also, as our closest university requires 3 years of foreign language, we'll probably do that third year at community college.

Susan Seaman
05-21-2013, 11:39 AM
My son is planning on getting his language credits through dual enrollment at the local community college.

Julie in AZ
05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
We just started BJU Spanish I online. They offer a $99 deal in December each year. We are learning the language with no previous background but it takes a bit of perseverance to get through the lessons as they are pre-recorded and have students off-site answering questions (it takes time to press buttons for students to answer, etc.). Each 30-45 minute lesson could probably be half the length if it just included instruction.

Donna in MO
05-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I'd be interested in hearing more recommendations, as well. We got my oldest dd's foreign language started way too late, but she's been trying to get through Rosetta Stone for the past few months and isn't liking it at ALL. She's doing Level 1 w/lesson plans from MFW, which are supposed to make it high school credit-worthy, but this turns it into a unit study format and time is a premium right now. She's not getting to everything listed that makes it "beefed up" for high school.

Also, my dd isn't liking the lack of grammar instruction. I know the immersion method of RS is supposed to be great, but she's struggling. RS is speech/voice dependent, and she's always struggled with speech articulation as it is (Tongue Thrust), and now with braces.... it just isn't happening. And she's struggling to put sentences together without the grammar instruction. Maybe that comes in another level? But we don't have TIME to play around with it and wait until a higher level.

So at this point, we're looking to either head over to the community college, or buy it on DVD from Abeka or BJU. She's doing Spanish, but my second dd wants to learn German, so what's out there that teaches German besides RS?

Heather (WI)
05-24-2013, 10:59 PM
just "listening in" to the suggestions! ;)

Shelly L
06-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I recently heard that some colleges are not accepting Rosetta Stone as language arts credit. Just FYI...

Donna in MO
06-10-2013, 10:26 AM
I recently heard that some colleges are not accepting Rosetta Stone as language arts credit. Just FYI...

Not as a language arts credit... it should be a foreign language credit. In our state, LA is not optional. They have to have 4 full English credits. But foreign language is considered an elective, and while highly recommended, it's not required to graduate.

Either way, though, a college shouldn't accept RS as a language arts credit, because it isn't. :)

That said, Rosetta Stone level 1 is NOT high school credit worthy by itself. MFW sells lesson plans that include additional assignments to make it high school credit worthy, though. I'd imagine that you could prove to a college that you really did high school credit-worthy work with level 1 by presenting a portfolio of work completed and activities done. If that is done, I can't imagine a college not accepting it since Rosetta Stone is what the military uses. I do know that some (maybe all?) colleges offer foreign language placement tests, so that would factor in as well.

Shelly L
06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=Donna in MO;1136037]Not as a language arts credit... it should be a foreign language credit. In our state, LA is not optional. They have to have 4 full English credits. But foreign language is considered an elective, and while highly recommended, it's not required to graduate.

Either way, though, a college shouldn't accept RS as a language arts credit, because it isn't. :)

Oops, my bad on that!, I'm aware that it's not an LA credit. ;). I meant foreign language. That's what I get for typing on my iPad flat on my back in bed when I'm not fully awake! Got in a rush. Thank you for the additional information regarding the Rosetta Stone issue. I got a blip of a news item on that yesterday via an email through a support group leaders network we are part of. I appreciate your insight on it!

Donna in MO
06-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Since posting in this thread, I've learned a bit more that I thought I'd share. :)

I found a small group of homeschoolers that will be meeting at someone's home for Spanish I next year. The lady teaching the class also teaches Adult Ed at the community college, and has also taught homeschoolers before. She's been teaching for 30 years. The curriculum we'll be using (I enrolled both of my high schoolers) is Buen viaje! by McGraw-Hill. I don't know whether I could teach it myself from just the textbook, but they do have online and audio options. When I googled the curriculum name, several hits came up.

Interesting to note that *several* moms at the informational meeting had the same concerns with Rosetta Stone that we've had... lack of grammar, and difficulties with voice recognition. (Voice recognition can be adjusted, but the lack of grammar is an issue. Plus, you don't have anyone to interact with, ask questions of, etc.) One mom in the group mentioned that it took them two years of RS to equal one year at the university-style school for homeschoolers where her son takes classes (he's now a teacher's aid there), and I read on another forum that one mom's son placed into first-year Spanish in BJU after having done two years of RS. Now, I don't know whether any of these students used "extras" like you find in the MFW lesson plans or not, but nevertheless.... there seems to be a pattern.

Meanwhile, I've continued looking for something in German for the 9th grader. Someone recommended these to me:

- Power Glide (has been around a long time, but I'd forgotten all about it because of the Rosetta Stone hype!)
- The Learnables (has also been around a long time)
- And an online course through Oklahoma State U: http://germanonline.okstate.edu/course-information/german-i

Power Glide and the Learnables have Spanish and other languages, too.

HTH someone! :)