PDA

View Full Version : Life Science & Biology

Hope
05-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Can someone tell me the difference between life science and biology? Could a life science text be used for high school if labs were added to the course?

CINDY LB OH
05-22-2013, 07:46 PM
To answer your first question, the life sciences are made up of different fields, one of which is biology. Things like genetics, anatomy, physiology, botany, ecology, and zoology are also considered life sciences.

So, I assume, a life science text would include a variety of topics, whereas a biology text would be more specific.
But, I know Apologia Biology includes a little about all the above topics as well. It's just that those topics can be fields all by themselves too.

Is the text you want to use considered high school level? If so, then it should be OK to just add labs. If not, then just adding labs may not be enough. You may need to add some extra articles or research projects along with the labs.

Do you have a specific text in mind?

Heather W
05-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Life science IS biology. Biology includes all those areas Cindy mentioned. Usually life science refers to biology for younger kids typically middle school. Biology is for older kids high school and up.

Life science text books lack detail that biology text books have. You'd be missing vocabulary a high school biology class would need to include. I would say you'd need to add more than just labs to make it high school level.

ETA- I have two life science texts on my shelf in addition to biology texts and have taught both in public schools. We moved through similar units, one with more detail than the other.

Hope
05-23-2013, 10:55 AM
I have 2 kids that will be in 10th grade next year. Both of them have learning disabilities and varying comprehension issues. Apologia Physical Science was torture for them this year because they couldn't understand some of the lessons, and we had to completely skip the math part of the course.

I don't think a regular high school biology course would be a good choice for them, so I was thinking about life science so they could comprehend the concepts. I bought Biology 101 which is a DVD course that has additional suggestions for the student to complete so they can receive credit, and I believe vocabulary is part of this course. I was also thinking about adding Science Roots by Nancy Paula Hasseler which is a program that teaches latin science word roots.

Here is my thought. I like the idea of the kids having a science textbook so they can learn to study and take notes, and if we used a life science text it might help with their comprehension. I could add the DVD course, and the vocabulary roots.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Heather W
05-23-2013, 12:25 PM
That sounds like a great idea Hope. I didn't realize the special circumstances. In that case, the reading level and information in a life science text would probably work out very well. Give it a go.

Hope
05-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Thank you. :hi:

Leslie Nelsen
05-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Agreeing with Heather here too! You are doing a great job in making it work for your children! :thumb: