PDA

View Full Version : Biblical worldview course for high school?

AmyinWI
05-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Any favorite suggestions, besides Starting Points?

Hollie in SC
05-23-2013, 04:09 PM
We used Summit's Lightbearers this past year for 8th grade. It was super, but there was so much to it that I will probably have him go back through it for high school as an elective. He learned a lot, but there is a lot more there to learn. ;) He really loved it.

They do have a high school curriculum as well.
http://www.summit.org/curriculum/high-school/home-school/

Joy in Alabama
05-24-2013, 10:40 AM
We used Summit's Lightbearers this past year for 8th grade. It was super, but there was so much to it that I will probably have him go back through it for high school as an elective. He learned a lot, but there is a lot more there to learn. ;) He really loved it.

I haven't used this course, but 2 of my kids have been to Summit and it's :thumb:! Even though we taught them a Biblical worldview in every day life, they learned heaps and heaps at the conference. I might look into this myself, Hollie, because going to a conference is mucho expensive.

Donna in MO
05-24-2013, 09:54 PM
We're using the resources that MFW sells for 11th grade Biblical Worldview. They are:

- Thinking Like a Christian (which is also by Summit)
- Assumptions that Affect Our Lives
- Growing Up Christian

and a Christian Character study written by MFW.

AmyinWI
05-25-2013, 01:52 AM

This looks really good,and I love that it's video based, but the price.... ugh. I was hoping to keep my homeschool budget low this year, doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Laura Lee
05-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Hollie, this is going to be my sons "Social Studies" credit for 10th grade. A friend of mine is going to teach it at our co-op this year. She had purchased the Lightbearers, but now we're thinking it probably wouldn't count for a high school credit, so we're looking into the 12th grade course, "Understanding the Times." Our co-op is in Spartanburg, by the way.

Donna in MO
05-25-2013, 10:40 PM
This looks really good,and I love that it's video based, but the price.... ugh. I was hoping to keep my homeschool budget low this year, doesn't look like that is going to happen.

The materials I mentioned above aren't nearly as expensive, but some of them come from the same publisher. Rainbow Resource and CBD carry most of the items.

Leslie Nelsen
05-26-2013, 02:43 PM
We love the Summit Ministries curriculum and conferences here too! :thumb: The materials are excellent.

The Lightbearers is geared for 8th (and up) and I think it is a great foundation for anyone of any age. (I'm going it with a middle and high schooler this year).

Joy - There are some partial scholarships available for the conferences if that helps.

Marla in Nevada
06-28-2013, 04:21 PM
I've been trying to figure out the difference between the various worldview curriculum that Summit offers and found this answer from Summit given on another homeschool board.
"Our Thinking Like a Christian is very similar to Lightbearers. It just has less information since it is made for Sunday School setting and Lightbearers is for a whole school year...... Thinking Like a Christian (TLC) and Countering Culture are both made for Sunday School settings. They are each made for meeting once a week for 12 weeks. Lightbearers and Understanding the Times (UTT) are made for school settings, meeting Monday through Friday for a school year. So, if you do Thinking Like a Christian & Countering Culture it will cover some of the same information, but not as in-depth, not all the information. If you do Lightbearers and Understanding the Times it will be the same information, but more of it."

If any of you have used Lightbearers for high school, is it set up to be used in a homeschool setting with an only child, or is it really geared for a school setting that has multiple students? I was thinking of using Lightbearers over two years (9th-10th), then perhaps using Understanding the Times (UTT) for 11th & 12th. FYI, I called Summit today, and they are revising UTT and hope to release it in December 2014.

I'd appreciate any input you can provide!

Jodi B
06-29-2013, 09:47 AM
http://www.trueu.org/

This has been recommended by the Student Ministries of my denomination (EPC), and it looks intriguing. It's spearheaded by Dr. Del Tackett, who did the excellent Truth Project series.