PDA

View Full Version : A Skill I Missed

Gwen in Texas
06-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Hey, friends. Nate just got his first real job! In the process, I realized a couple of things I should have gone over with him to prepare.

Forms! He filled out the application online, asking me questions as he went. I thought this meant he knew how to fill out a form. I was wrong. There were a few forms he had to fill out at the interviews and he ended up just bringing them home. I wish I had just printed out various forms and had him practice what to write where beforehand.

Standardized tests. Nate has never taken an answer bubble test. We are not required to do standardized testing, and with homeschooling and educational therapy, I'm pretty aware of his academic achievement level without testing. Poor guy, the CPR/first aid training had a bubble test with different sections on test and answer sheet. He said he had to redo it twice. :( Fortunately, he must've had an instructor who could tell it was a testing issue, not a content mastery issue.

Nate is a great kid and is not daunted by being wrong and do-overs. But I wish I had thought to prepare him more specifically for forms and tests. That's my public service announcement for the day. :)

Joy in Alabama
06-07-2013, 11:52 AM
We did standardized tests for the first time this year. I bought one of those Scholastic practice books. It was way easy for my 16yo, but I wanted all the kids to practice the bubbles. :thumb:

Hmmmm, I need to see if Carrie (16) knows how to fill out an application.

One skill we missed was filling out a deposit slip and writing a check. A couple of my older kids have had to have help with that when they got a checking/savings account.

Alice R
06-07-2013, 02:01 PM
I neglected to really practice cursive with my older kids. I know it's not needed often but it's embarassing to watch your almost 15 yr old stumble when reading script.

Hollie in SC
06-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Thank you, Gwen, for sharing with us! I need to start writing things like this down! So many things to think about raising these kids. :kiss:

CJ
06-07-2013, 09:56 PM
I appreciate it so much when someone shares something like this.

I started having my kids fill out their forms when we go to doctor and dentist appointments, signup sheets for workshops or summer programs, etc. They don't like it at first, but I sure do.
:lol:

I administer standardized tests to local homeschoolers and the university students. I did a big group yesterday and there were 2 kids that did not seem to know how to properly fill in a bubble. One just scritched back and forth each bubble with a diagonal slant. His circles were not filled all the way in, but they were dark. The other just made light dots in the center of each circle. I just fill things in the rest of the way for them. I do send my parents links to a few state's released tests from past years for their kids to practice on.

Lining up is the biggest thing I see that homeschoolers don't know how to do. We went to a county safety fair as a group and there were groups of ps kids, too. When we moved to the next station they would say, "Okay, line up." All the kids in our group would just kind of smoosh into a lump in front of the guide. It was hilarious.

Another problem I'm encountering with my kids is that they cannot read cursive. They write in italic handwriting, but they are thrown by traditional cursive if I write them a note or someone else does. We need to work on that.

My summer list also has "learn to sew on a button" and "learn to put air in tires" written on it. Someone on here also said long ago to teach them how to turn off the water main and flip a breaker in the fuse box. That was quite a story! :eek:

Kendra AU
06-08-2013, 05:34 AM
:group: Glad he got a do-over on the tests. I messed up a bubble test at a young age when the answer sheet was separate. You know the rule, skip the question & move on, then come back to it? Yeah, well I didn't skip it on the answer form. :blush: I had to retake the crazy thing. I've been thinking about that a lot lately with our up & coming highschooler. Thanks for sharing!