PDA

View Full Version : Science to prepare for General Science?

Tricia O
06-18-2013, 08:03 AM
What would you recommend for science for 6th grade for someone who hasn't done much science with her kids at all, but will likely be doing Apologia's General Science the next year in a mini co-op with us? She says she knows she hasn't done much science up till now but really needs to start doing more.

Our family was planning to zip through (mostly just reading) Exploring Creation with Land Animals following by Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy (or whatever it's called). We were basically going to do one per semester, and we started our school year a month ago. We already did one chapter of Land Animals. However, I was thinking perhaps we could zoom through Anatomy this summer (instead of Land Animals) with just our family, and then in the fall, our friends could join us for a more leisurely stroll through Land Animals? The reason I was thinking of doing it this way is that I know some human anatomy will be taught with General Science anyway, and the land animals might be more fun & interesting. :unsure:

Thanks for any advice! :)

Kendra AU
06-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Hmm.. but by "not much science" does that mean none?!

Rebe
06-18-2013, 10:36 AM
With my older two, we had done nothing but BY science, and they were both fine with Apologia General Science (one did it in 7th and one in 8th). We didn't do anything special to prepare, content-wise.

The big things about Apologia that could be a change for your dc are the amount of writing, reading, and memorization for tests. My older two didn't have any problem with any of this, because they're good readers and don't mind writing a lot. But if your child is weaker in LA skills (things having to do with words), that will likely be the biggest issue, rather than the actual content of the course. This applies to General Science, Physical Science, and Biology. After that (Chemistry, Physics), math becomes a huge factor. But for the first three, it's heavy on reading/comprehension skills. And being able to write up a lot of labs.

Leslie Nelsen
06-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Ditto to Rebe. :)

Tricia O
06-18-2013, 12:48 PM
With my older two, we had done nothing but BY science, and they were both fine with Apologia General Science (one did it in 7th and one in 8th). We didn't do anything special to prepare, content-wise.

The big things about Apologia that could be a change for your dc are the amount of writing, reading, and memorization for tests. My older two didn't have any problem with any of this, because they're good readers and don't mind writing a lot. But if your child is weaker in LA skills (things having to do with words), that will likely be the biggest issue, rather than the actual content of the course. This applies to General Science, Physical Science, and Biology. After that (Chemistry, Physics), math becomes a huge factor. But for the first three, it's heavy on reading/comprehension skills. And being able to write up a lot of labs.

My oldest did General Science last year, so I am pretty familiar with it. We have always done lots of science in our home, so my question wasn't really for me but for my friend who wishes to join us on our science studies (beginning with General Science in fall of 2014 for my younger daughter & her oldest daughter). They haven't done BYFIAR or much science up to this point.

- - - Updated - - -

And I will be honest & admit that we did not give General Science our all. We did not do nearly as much of the labs or write-ups as we should have. This is why we would like to do it with a friend when Katie gets to it! ;)

CINDY LB OH
06-19-2013, 08:43 AM
If your friend hasn't done much science at all, then jumping into Apologia General Science might be a little stressful at first. But I think it's doable.

We used Great Science Adventure books (http://www.commonsensepress.com/greatscience/product.htm) before using Apologia and those are fantastic, especially with the labs and getting used to recording data and writing up mini-lab reports. You make lots of mini-books and do lots of writing, so I found them to be great preparation for apologia.

You could also do some scientist biographies since that first chapter in general science is heavy on the scientists and who they are.

Also, when each of my students started general science, I did it as a read aloud with them. That helped with the transition and led to lots of discussion which also helped with the tests. We wrote out study cards together and reviewed them together, and just did it as a sort of family science. It was fun and then when they moved to physical science they were going strong on their own.