PDA

View Full Version : Just sharing: Math Relief is working!!!!!!!!!!!

Alice R
06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
We have had so many setbacks with math. Nathaniel is a good student but we just couldn't find a math fit for him. I posted a "HELP" :eek: thread and someone suggested Math Relief. I had never heard of it and took a chance.

Nathaniel is finally understanding math. I am 110% satisfied.

It is a simple program. It's a good math teacher, a white board and lots and lots of explanations. Lot of problems. AND he gives you all of the answers completely worked out so the student & parent can see it all.

No bells, no whistles. Nothing fancy. Just math by a good teacher.

My son pops in the DVD, puts on TV headphones, has his huge book and goes to work. I grade him and he is getting almost everything correct. :D

Linda
06-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Thank you for this! I think I'll check it out. :)

Ginger Lynn
06-24-2013, 08:00 AM
I am so glad to read this! This is what my DS will be using this fall and I pray I can type the same thing you have.:)

Joy in Alabama
06-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Alice, I've been recommending Math Relief for a long, long time, but you're the first person who actually bought it! I'm sooooo glad it's working for you. We've used it now with 4 kids and I've never even had to help them at all and you know, you can even call Mr. Firebaugh if you get stuck - he's a very nice man!

Alice R
06-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I cannot believe that such a good program is not flying off the shelves.

We have used teaching Textbooks and I was pleased but THIS???? This is like the ambrosia of algebra. :lol:

Gail in NY
06-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Hmmmm.... I will have to check this out. My dd did TT 7 this year and loved it, but I cannot do the $$ it will take for Pre_Algebra. My 10 yo is needing a different approach to and I just don't know which way to turn. Thanks for the tip!

Alice R
06-26-2013, 03:15 PM
I think you can buy it in pieces. Maybe buy the first lessons and see how you like it?

We did Ok with Teaching Textbooks 7 also and then it started to not work...as the math got harder...it wasn't enough.

normafl
06-27-2013, 09:33 PM
ooh this looks good! we did TT til 7th and then it was all down hill from there. She has had better luck with online classes but its always nice to have a video to watch over and over again

Robin in Colorado
06-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Very exciting, Alice!

We have had math issues also. I'm planning to start Kitty in Teaching Textbooks in the fall. It seems to be a good fit for the way her brain works. However, I couldn't find anything for Belle. Her mind is... different. :lol:

She is a vendor at our state conference every year, and always goes to some workshops with me. This year we went to one called "Teaching Math in the Homeschool." Turns out the speaker is a curriculum author. About 15 minutes into his talk, we moved closer to the front of the room! Belle kept elbowing me and saying, "Mom, he is saying what I've been trying to say! I get him!"

I had never heard of his curriculum before, but after much discussion (he and Belle visited back and forth at each other's booths throughout the weekend :) ), we purchased Algebra. I can't remember the name of the curriculum even now, but we are excited about it and it sounds a lot like Math Relief.

I hope that we have as much success with it as you are with MR.

- - - Updated - - -

Very exciting, Alice!

We have had math issues also. I'm planning to start Kitty in Teaching Textbooks in the fall. It seems to be a good fit for the way her brain works. However, I couldn't find anything for Belle. Her mind is... different. :lol:

She is a vendor at our state conference every year, and always goes to some workshops with me. This year we went to one called "Teaching Math in the Homeschool." Turns out the speaker is a curriculum author. About 15 minutes into his talk, we moved closer to the front of the room! Belle kept elbowing me and saying, "Mom, he is saying what I've been trying to say! I get him!"

I had never heard of his curriculum before, but after much discussion (he and Belle visited back and forth at each other's booths throughout the weekend :) ), we purchased Algebra. I can't remember the name of the curriculum even now, but we are excited about it and it sounds a lot like Math Relief.

I hope that we have as much success with it as you are with MR.

Alice R
06-28-2013, 12:19 PM
We LOVED Teaching Textbooks and we were rolling along so nicely and then things went very badly with pre-algebra and algebra.

You know your child has switched math curriculums are few times when he say "mom, this math curriculum is not working for me" :lol:

This Math Relief instructor reminds me of when i FINALLY got to college and got an amazing math professor. Dr. Goodman in Queens College. I will never forget it. :lol: I sat there and was like "if I had a teacher like this, I would've been fine with math". Nathaniel said that same thing. He thinks this guy explains math so well.

Math Relief seems solid to me and I feel that this program can get him through the tough math ahead.