PDA

View Full Version : American History Lit Study for Middle School

Paige P
07-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Can ya'll help me come up with some books to read that chronicle American History? I think that's what I'm going to do with my girls next year (7th and 5th). We've done some major highlights over the years with FIAR and add-on studies/rabbit trails that I've made up, but most of them have been YEARS ago. When I was talking to them the other day, I realized that while knew they *some* things, there are some things that are lacking, so I thought I'd try to do a more chronological study using books. Katie's read almost all the Dear America books, and we've read a good bit in years past, but somehow there's been a disconnect OR it's just been awhile :unsure:

Any recommendations for me? Any way you would think about dividing this? I'm sure we'll do some read-alouds, but I'll have them reading alone a good bit.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated :kiss:

Esther-Alabama
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I used a nice literature unit study for American history. It is called Teaching History Through Childrens literature.

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/1563084406

It has book lists by period of history and has study guides for many of them. I did it with my oldest who is going into 9th this year.

I would let you borrow it but another friend has it now!!

We read books like The Hiding Place, All Quiet Onthe Western Front, Bud Not Buddy, Johnny Termain, etc... It was worth getting the book for the lists and for the guided study thru history.

Melissa Crabtree
07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Have you looked at TruthQuest guides? We're halfway through American History with them and they're great!

Becky in CA
07-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Have you looked at abookintime.com for ideas? My other thought is maybe start with the Felicity American Girl books. I used to have the collection, and there was a study guide that went with them. (I don't know if it's still published though. :unsure:)

Joy in Alabama
07-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Sounds like you need TruthQuest, Paige. It's basically a list of books, broken down into events through a particular time period.

Paige P
07-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Melissa, are you using the younger version or older version?

Esther, that book does look good! I think you've linked it before (or someone has). I'd forgotten about it.....

Becky, thanks for the AG idea :) I think we've read all of the AG books, though.

Joy, I PM'd you to see if you had any of the books I could look at :)

Tricia O
07-11-2013, 07:36 AM
I have Truthquest you can borrow for the year if you like. Not sure which one but probably upper elementary. I am away from home this week on a youth trip.

Paige P
07-11-2013, 07:57 AM
Well, I had a long talk with the girls about what THEY want to do/study, and they both immediately and enthusiastically voted for Story of the World Vol. 1, which I own :)

So, I'm going to nix the Am. History for this year, and, instead assign books to read that emphasize some Am. History. (Esther, I'll probably check out the book you linked).

After a good phone conversation with Joy :kiss: I'm going to definitely look at Truthquest for high school .....

Tricia, thanks for the offer :) That's very generous of you!

Joy in Alabama
07-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Well, I had a long talk with the girls about what THEY want to do/study, and they both immediately and enthusiastically voted for Story of the World Vol. 1, which I own :)

So, I'm going to nix the Am. History for this year, and, instead assign books to read that emphasize some Am. History. (Esther, I'll probably check out the book you linked).

After a good phone conversation with Joy :kiss: I'm going to definitely look at Truthquest for high school .....

Tricia, thanks for the offer :) That's very generous of you!

Paige, by the time you are ready for high school, I'll probably have books you can have or borrow. It was fun talking to you!

Katie
07-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Have you looked at TruthQuest guides? We're halfway through American History with them and they're great!

:thumb: