PDA

View Full Version : what do I call these social studies classes?

Rebe
07-09-2013, 08:34 PM
I need help naming two classes. :unsure: This is for my 12th grader.

Here are the books I have:

Whatever Happened to Penny Candy, plus the workbook
Whatever Happened to Justice, plus the workbook
Are you Liberal? Conservative? or Confused? , plus the workbook
The World Today, by Henry Brun (340 pages, with review questions, writing assignments, etc.) This is a really good political and contemporary issues book that starts at the Cold War and comes up to the present.

My original idea was to have these all be one semester and call it something like "Contemporary Issues." But I looked them over more carefully today and there's no way he could read all of them in one semester and do even a few of the workbook or review exercises. There is too much good stuff in all of them to just skim through and go too fast. So I have to split them up.

The order above (for the first three) is the order that the author says to read them in. And the last two titles just go naturally together, having a political emphasis.

So for second semester, I'll combine the last two titles and call it Contemporary Issues, or Global Contemporary Issues, or Political Science and Global Issues. (Which one is best? Or is there a better title you can think of?)

Which leaves the first two for first semester, which are economics and the justice system. Hmmmmm. I have no problem with putting these in one class, but what in the world do I call it?

Renee
07-09-2013, 09:55 PM
You could do it all together and call it American Political Theory.

Paige P
07-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Does he already have a government credit? Wouldn't they fall under Gvt and the Penny Candy under Economics?

I like Renee's idea, too :)

Rebe
07-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Does he already have a government credit? Wouldn't they fall under Gvt and the Penny Candy under Economics?

I like Renee's idea, too :)

He's already had American Gov't. These are more political science, econ, justice, and contemporary issues.

I would like to combine the econ and justice books, but I don't know what to call it. :unsure:

Economics and the Law? But I'm not sure if that would make sense to anyone but me.

Rebe
07-10-2013, 08:54 AM
You could do it all together and call it American Political Theory.

I like this! But with these books, I don't think it's accurate -- it's not just American and it's not just theory. It's global and it's also recent political history.

Laura JL
07-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Well, the first three titles Blue Stocking Press uses in their Nature of Government course. They add in two additional titles/guides for the complete course. I'm not familiar w/ the 4th book you mentioned. So that could be a possibility.

When oldest was in college he had courses like: Controversies in Politics of Global Regions; Controversies in World Politics; etc. Comparitive Politics; Public Opinion and Politics --- any of those title fit w/ what you are feeling about the course work?

Rebe
07-10-2013, 04:48 PM
When oldest was in college he had courses like: Controversies in Politics of Global Regions; Controversies in World Politics; etc. Comparitive Politics; Public Opinion and Politics --- any of those title fit w/ what you are feeling about the course work?

Yes -- very helpful. Thanks!

Donna in MO
07-29-2013, 08:20 PM
How about Intro to Political Science?

Linda
08-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Those books are used in Ambleside Online, along w/ others, and are under the heading Gov't and Economics.