View Full Version : Literature Expectations

Tricia in TX
07-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Just curious...how many books do you think it's reasonable to expect an 11th grader to finish in one school year. She is a very good reader and loves to read, but she'll be taking some college classes, plus some heavy classes at our co op, as well as a few subjects at home. She's going to be a very busy girl. However, I really want her to get a few more classics in before she graduates so I have 2 more years. And honestly, next year she'll be taking even more college classes so she will have less time.

I plan to get some on audio too so she can listen while she paints. (She's my artist and loves to sit and paint)

So, how many per year for an 11th grader with a heavy schedule.

And while we're on the topic, how many for a 9th grader who is a slow reader, but has a regular load of schoolwork (not heavy).

07-12-2013, 09:05 PM
My ds will be in 11th grade and is taking a very heavy schedule of AP classes and dual-enrollment classes. He will be reading 9 classics.

He will be reading ~
The Scarlet Letter
Billy Budd
The Grapes of Wrath
The Glass Menagerie
Old Man and the Sea
The Great Gatsby
Our Town
The Chosen
The Red Badge of Courage

He read 8 classics in 9th grade.

Tricia in TX
07-12-2013, 09:15 PM
What did he read in 9th?

07-12-2013, 09:28 PM
9th grade ~

The Iliad
The Odyssey
The Republic
Antony and Cleopatra
Oedipus the King
The Aeneid
The Portable Dante
and one book of his choice which was a John Grisham book.

I forgot to add that he is reading The Scarlet Letter and Billy Budd {above} this summer, then writing papers on them when school starts, so he will actually read 7 classics over the course of the school year.