PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Notebook/Lapbook Question

Paige P
05-25-2007, 11:15 AM
The girls and I just did our first FNL -- the Memorial Day one. It went very well, and they LOVED it. I *know* that this is in our future as we row books and study other subjects. I'm thrilled about incorporating notebooking into hsing.

BUT....... here's the question..... I tried to do it all in one sitting today, and it was a little much. How do you incorporate it into your week? Do you finish the week and then do the notebooking, or do you do a little every day? If you do some daily, how do you "lay out" the page without overdoing it? Do you just do cut-outs and stuff throughout the week and then to do the layout and gluing at the end of the week? I'm trying to figure out what will work best for us (dd1 is 6 -- 1st grade next year -- and dd 2 is 4 1/2 but participates in all we do with FIAR). Any advice?

Thanks!

MichelleL in Tn
05-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Well I have not used FNL...But I collect sheets like word searches etc and we use them in our lapbooks..(Along with original work.)

We usually just do our work each day and then glue it in on Friday.
We do add the title on day one. DS writes it, DD traces the title and we glue it on...If I already know exactly what I will put in the lapbook that week then I may add a page a day as we work on it...

But if I am still winging it and coming up with ideas then I might wait to see how to fit it all together.

HTH

LindainOK
05-25-2007, 12:40 PM
We prepare (write and cut) some each day, but wait to glue on Friday after we position to know what fits where. I agree with you--lapbooking works great across the curriculum!

ps...I just realized that you were talking specifically about notebooking which we are not yet doing here.

Paige P
05-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Linda, I think lapbooking and notebooking are pretty similar (but maybe I'm missing something).

So, now the question is do I have each child do a book/lapbook or just do one for the family?

YoLanda
05-25-2007, 02:35 PM
I just went to a l/b demo and from what I gather, just do it how it works best for you. I too, wondered how to 'get started',what comes first, the egg or the chicken? The l/b made up and we fill it in or do we see what was interesting and then make it fit into a l/b in the end?

I think when we start, I'm going to have the folds I know in mind and how much actually fits in a l/b so it will make sense to me. I think as we row a book the ideas will come. Like, if there was a book that had lots of wild, hard whatever kind of words, well then i would do a fold that accomodates lots of small spaces to write the words and then turn the flap for the definition. If there was a map we definitely wanted to incorporate, then I would leave the big middle area open for that. If there were 3-5 dates/fruits/animals/whatevers! we wanted to remember, I would make 3-5 matchbook folds and place those there.

I really think, for me anyway, having done the folds, knowing how to put one together and how easy they really are...it has taken the crazed feeling of how do I do this? out of the equation for me. We haven't even done one yet but after i went to the demo I showed my dd how the folds are made, what they are named and how they can fit on/in the l/b. It made it sure in my mind so I would recommend that for you. Do a demo for yourself and your kids and it will secure it in your mind. Then, when you row next, I think you'll be thinking 'Oh, this stuff would be good in a hamburger fold, this one in a taco fold, this one in a matchbook fold, this one in a multi-flap fold', and so on.

Paige P
05-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Yolanda,
Where did you "find" a class to attend? That sounds SO neat. Wonder if I could find something around here........?

DD in IL
05-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Yeah we did our Memorial in one sitting and 7 yr old was really into it one minute but then after a few minutes he was done.

Jane Claire
05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi Paige,

I'm so glad that you all had fun with the Memorial Day Fold and Learn©!

I'd like to try to answer, at least some of your question.

I didn't get a chance to read every response but I know that doing a Fold and Learn© emanating from the FIAR Holiday Through the Seasons book can be very different from doing a Fold and Learn© that is created from the lessons in a Volume 1-3 Five in a Row Unit.

Let me talk about the Five in a Row Unit Fold and Learn© first. We currently have a Fold and Learn© for Make Way for Ducklings and one for The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Both of these are story selections from Five in a Row Volume 2. It seems to me that these would be best used by downloading the information and art pieces and then using only the pieces that fit with the lesson for Monday on Monday. Then using the pieces that fit with your lessons for Tuesday on Tuesday, etc. In other words, by the end of the week you will have completed one Five in a Row Unit and your Fold and Learn© with a little bit added each day.

If you have a young child or one that needs some help, you may feel very free to do most of the cutting and positioning yourself--just enjoying being together and discussing what you are looking at. If you have an older child or one that really loves this type of expression, then they may be able to do most of the work themselves. There isn't a right or wrong to this--it is to enjoy--however that works best in your family.

Now, for the Holiday based Fold and Learns© it is best to read the section in your Five in a Row Holiday Through the Seasons book (or your monthly downloaded Holiday book section) and then it is entirely up to you whether you have a quick study and do the Fold and Learn© in one day, or make it several days adding more of what you read in your FIAR Holiday manual.

The idea is to learn and enjoy and create together...keeping things light, and watching for special interests of your student...deepening in those areas. Remember that you may not know for several days after a project that there is special interest growing in your student's imagination. So, if you do a project and a week later your student says he's been thinking about Memorial Day or some aspect of it and wants to know more then....well!!!!! You are off and away!:clap:

Hope this helps. I may put this in a new separate post later for those who might not have seen this one.

Enjoy!

Beth in FL
06-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Paige, I just got back from the FPEA conference recently, where I attended a lapbooking seminar by Tammy Duby of Tobin's Lab. I can share with you what she recommends:

Do your projects for the lapbook (maps, minibooks, drawings, etc.) as you go along and store them in a large Ziploc for each child.
At the end of the week (or unit study, or whatever you're working on), retrieve all the stuff you've been making, kept nicely in one place in the Ziploc, and put the lapbook together.
For a young child, she recommends that moms arrange the layout ahead of time so you'll know where everything is going to go when you get started, rather than having the child try to decide where to put things. Older children should be allowed to do their own layouts, even if it's not what YOU would do.
She recommends blue gel glue, because it's less watery than the white glue. She says lapbooks done with glue sticks do not hold up over time (the components will fall out). By the way, she doesn't let young children place their glue; she does it for them. I think that would cause a rebellion in my house -- that's the fun part, after all.

She showed us various folds and gave us a general idea of the different kinds of lapbooks, shape books, stick books, etc., that are possible. This is going a bit beyond notebooking. If you're interested, she has a book called The Ultimate Lap Book Handbook. I was intrigued and bought one at the convention, but I haven't read through it yet.

HTH!

Paige P
06-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks, Beth. I was wondering about the glue. Where do you find the blue gel glue? Is this something that I'm missing out there somewhere?!?!?!?

Beth in FL
06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Paige, I've seen the gel glue at the usual places: drugstores, craft stores, etc. Here's a link (http://www.elmers.com/product/product_page.asp?pCode=E363) to the Elmer's brand, just so you can see what she's talking about. I forgot to mention, her all-time favorite glue for lapbooks is spray adhesive. I sort of put that out of my mind for now, because we will NOT have glue that sprays at my house for a number of years, I think. ;)

Nancy Ann
06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I would love to attend a lapbook demo or seminar, but this year at our convention there isn't one. :(

So Tammy recommended doing the lapbook all in one day at the end of the week or unit? I suppose it sort of makes sense because than you can plan out better what the lapbook will look like, but we always get really tired when we put our fold and learn or lapbook together in one day. Maybe it has to do with age. Did she address this problem in her seminar?

Beth in FL
06-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi, Nancy Ann. I just looked this up in her book so that I can be sure to answer your question accurately. To paraphrase her, she says to make the contents of the lapbook as you go, because it's fresh in the student's mind. Then, at the end of the unit, the process of putting the lapbook together will act as a review. She says that if you glue the components into the lapbook as you go, the arrangement won't be as pleasing to the eye and it's better to wait to see what sizes and shapes you have to work with. She doesn't really address that it might be too much work for one day, although as I mentioned in a previous post, she does recommend that moms of young kids figure out the layout of the lapbook beforehand. Maybe that makes it less time-consuming? Anyway, I say make it work for you. If you need to take two days putting it together, I don't think that would hurt a thing! :)

Mary FL
06-05-2007, 08:41 PM
This thread has a lot of useful information. Thanks!

Paige P
06-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Nancy Ann,
I think (just my opinion here -- I haven't put in into action, although I will at the end of this week) that if you have everything colored, cut out, ready to display that it wouldn't be too overwhelming to actually put into the lapbook. From the beginning of this post, you can see that I tried to do the Memorial Day FNL all in one sitting -- the discussion, the lesson, the cutting, the coloring, gluing, etc. It was overwhelming. I think, though, if everything else was finished, and all the kids had to do was lay it out and glue that it wouldn't be much of an issue. I may be wrong. We're doing The Big Green Pocketbook (Before FIAR -- I'm going back and doing some of those we never had a chance to do this summer -- still some good lessons there), and I intend to notebook it at the end of the week. I'll keep you posted on how it goes ;)

Nancy Ann
06-06-2007, 12:32 PM
That is very true, trying to do the teaching along with putting it together is what makes it so difficult for us.

I agree it's also better to have everything in front of you when planning out a lapbook. I think I will try this again and see