PDA

View Full Version : Excellence in Literature

Trudy
07-30-2013, 06:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone had used this book http://everyday-education.com/literature/eng1.shtml for high school? Our homeschool co-op has asked me if I would teach this class and I will be looking over the book tonight. If anyone has ever used it before I would love to hear your opinion.

Julie in AZ
07-30-2013, 08:31 PM
I purchased this and have to say it is not what I was expecting. If you look at samples on IEW's website for American Literature (similar product), it shows a complete unit. You can get a better feel for it there. I thought it was just part of the unit but the sample is the whole unit. I was expecting quite a bit more. Perhaps it'll work for you though.

Laura F
07-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Let me know what you think after you look at the text. I'm not being very helpful since I'm not familiar with the series, but the reading list looks solid and not for the faint of heart!

Rebe
07-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I've used Excellence in Literature, but not that particular volume. My ds did American Lit last year, but not the whole book. I picked 4 units for him for .5 credit.

I like it a lot, but it's definitely for the student who doesn't have difficulty reading (not for non-college-bound or those who hate to read or write). There are samples of the papers in the back, or very specific instructions. There are grading rubrics for the papers (I don't use those, but I know some teachers use them and love them). There are tons and tons of websites. She's very big on context, so you'll have websites for what was going on in the world at the time the piece was written. For each unit, there were two very short papers and one longer paper required, so it's a lot of writing. This is all for the American Lit book, but I'm pretty sure they all follow the same format, mostly.

The biggest benefit to doing a lit class in a group is the discussion. I wish I could have provided more of that for my ds.

This isn't a course that holds your hand, though. It's more for self-starters.

I've also used Windows to the World, which is the Literary Analysis book (not the same author, though -- but the same series). It's excellent -- it's much more detailed than the Janice Campbell volumes and can easily be taught with the detailed teacher's manual. That one in particular is perfect for a co-op setting.

Heather W
07-30-2013, 11:50 PM
I have the entire set in my cart at RR. :)

I have English III and it's a perfect fit for us! Written to the student. Not overbearing in its instruction. Doesn't ruin the book with over-analysis. Leads the student in writing essays about the work. Teaches time management in a subtle way.

Love what I see and I'm eager to use it for our high school.

I'm all about my kids reading classic works of literature and these volumes give many book choices with very pointed assignments that have great value in preparing students to work with books in high school and beyond.