PDA

View Full Version : High school world geography?

Carol S
08-01-2013, 08:42 PM
What do you have for me? I do own Trail Guide to World Geography, but it relies on an out-of-print atlas, and nations of the world have changed a few times since it was published, so I thought I'd see whether someone could refer me to something more current or else tell me how they adapted this product.

CINDY LB OH
08-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Hmmm... I didn't even think of that.

We don't have the suggested atlas and our library didn't have it either, so we just used whatever ones the library had. It worked just fine.
As far as nations that have changed, I guess I would just include the new information. If you use a current almanac then you should be able to find all the new information quite easily. I haven't looked on her website to see what new atlases she suggests, but maybe that would be somewhere to start as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the atlas that is suggested on the Geomatters website. (http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/product/atlas-of-world-geography)

DD in IL
08-02-2013, 05:18 AM
We used Abeka Academy for World Geography.

Ginger Lynn
08-02-2013, 07:06 AM
I know Heart of Dakota just came out with a new High School guide that is World Geography. It looks great.

Kendra AU
08-02-2013, 07:52 AM
There's a few companies that have it {Sonlight & Winter Promise}, but it might depend on what specific grade you are after.

Kelly K
08-02-2013, 08:13 AM
My kids mess around with Seterra. It's good for memorizing the countries.

Miranda.in.WA
08-02-2013, 01:19 PM
We used Abeka Academy for World Geography.

My 9th grader completed this as a dvd video course this years and really enjoyed listening to the instructor.

Paige P
08-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Heather had some good ideas in this thread a few weeks ago :) http://www.fiveinarowforums.com/showthread.php?104362-Geography-Unit-Study&highlight=geography

Heather (WI)
08-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Heather had some good ideas in this thread a few weeks ago :) http://www.fiveinarowforums.com/showthread.php?104362-Geography-Unit-Study&highlight=geography

Yes! Thanks for finding the link, Paige! :)

I did buy several of the suggested resources, but I think for our "spine" we are going to use the Apologia Around the World in 180 Days. It has everything I was looking for, and to top it off, our dd LOVES Apologia resources, so she was excited about it (which doesn't happen often with "school" stuff here, LOL!) ;)

We're planning to do a country at a time, like a unit study similar in style to FIAR units. I bought the cookbook, Eat Your Way Around the World, as well as the art projects book, so I'm hoping to make it feel very FIAR-ish! :)

Joy in Alabama
08-03-2013, 05:49 PM
I use Around the World in 180 Days. It's pretty easy to use, can be done independently :thumb:, and the kids like it.

Marla in Nevada
08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm using Mapping the World with Art by Ellen McHenry. I also have the following resources to throw into the mix if I need more:

God's World News magazine: current events + mapping
Seterra
Globalmania (Knowledge Quest)
BJU Cultural Geography text
Visualize World Geography
Map Trek