PDA

View Full Version : free science curriculum

Joy in Alabama
08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
A few months ago, Heather W told me about a free science curriculum, CK12 (http://ck12.org). We started using the Earth Science Concepts book 2 weeks ago and we really like it! If you sign up as a teacher, you can access a lot of extra resources, such as videos, quizzes, study helps, etc. Just wanted to pass this along in case you can use the info at some point. :thumb: There's also algebra, too, I think. Carrie has downloaded the book to my Kindle, but has primarily been using it online so she can access the supplemental material, since my Kindle does not go online.

Heather W
08-05-2013, 10:11 PM
:clap: I'm glad you like it Joy!

We did get all the teacher's materials as well. And my husband laid out a schedule using the extra readings and videos from the teacher's edition. You get the answers for the tests and quizzes as well!

They are working on getting all the subjects up there. It's just an open source text book format.

Kelly K
08-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Can we talk about this again? We have an iPad. Would I download the books to there? Would I read them in the bookshelf app?

Shelly L
08-06-2013, 08:06 AM
What can you tell me about the manner in which the curriculum deals with evolution and climate change? Do you feel this curriculum is tied pretty tightly with public "virtual school" endeavors? Not looking for debate, just information. I would appreciate your take on it! Thanks!

Joy in Alabama
08-06-2013, 11:57 AM
What can you tell me about the manner in which the curriculum deals with evolution and climate change? Do you feel this curriculum is tied pretty tightly with public "virtual school" endeavors? Not looking for debate, just information. I would appreciate your take on it! Thanks!

Well, we're still in the beginning of the book. Carrie says it does talk about evolution, but doesn't seem to say whether it is a right or wrong concept. It does talk about climate change, but she knows how to discern between what the book says and what we believe, if that makes sense. It's free to look at - you don't have to purchase anything - so you could go read the first few chapters and see how you like it.

Heather W
08-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Shelly, to answer your question, I would be under no illusion that this text book is in any way going to avoid those big issues. CK-12 is an open source text based out of California. CA is one of the big text book states along with Texas. They have always led the charge in terms of text books and most of the rest of the states fall in because that's where the text books come from. That is, traditionally speaking. The world of the text book has undergone some change based on exactly this product- an open source, FREE text on the internet.

If those are hot topics for you, then you'll want to know that these texts will hit them in a very secular way.

Kelly, to answer your question, I don't know how you view books on your iPad. On our pcs we use Calibre which allows us to read the ebook as a book by "turning" pages. You can view these on mobile devices and you can use it on a Kindle. I haven't tried it, but it probably views nicely on a backlit Kindle- so would probably look good on your iPad Kindle app. The best idea is to try it. See how you like it.