PDA

View Full Version : Where does your teen do his/her school work?

Cindy in CA
08-09-2013, 11:42 AM
My oldest, Nick, has always done his written work/computer stuff at the kitchen table but I think I need to make some changes for the upcoming school year. His brother and I were a constant distraction to him. The kitchen is where all the activity is and I think he needs to move to his bedroom to do school, but I'm not sure if that is ideal either. He is going to be in 10th grade. I would need to purchase a desk and lamp for his room but that is fine. There really isn't much space either. Also, it just seems weird for him to be away from us and yet something has to change cause the distractions were a huge issue last year. My youngest, Ben does his work in another room upstairs and that works for him, but even so we tend to still be in the kitchen a lot and itis too noisy and distracting for Nick.
Where do your teens do their work? What has and hasn't worked for you as far as keeping them on tract.

Please brainstorm with me. I need to figure this out soon.

Thanks!

:)

Rachel Jane
08-09-2013, 12:29 PM
wherever they can. Sometimes at the kitchen table, sometimes in their rooms.

Miranda.in.WA
08-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Without much room in his bedroom, have you thought about a loft/bunk with the desk underneath? Sometimes they show up on the buy/sell/trade facebook page or craigslist.

Can you schedule different times for the kids to do work? I would recommend keeping the computer at the table, so if one has computer/research/writing time, the other can retreat to another location for reading/math or whatever.

Plus, distractions are good to overcome. Dorm rooms in college aren't the quietest places, neither are cubicles in offices. If dc can overcome distractions and still complete his work, he is learning a very valuable skill :)

My teen usually works at kitchen table while I am in living room with the littles, or vise versa. We also try to have more quiet 'desk type' work at the table, where as the living room is where we have our conversations, games, and activities.

Robin in Colorado
08-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Belle and Kitty worked last year at the kitchen table, while I was downstairs with the littles. However, some things are changing this year. Belle will be moving about the house more, doing work in her room some as well as working at the table.

Joy in Alabama
08-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Carrie sits in her bedroom floor. She was thinking about a desk, but it would crowd her room. She does a lot at the computer desk in the living room and we go into my room if we are reading aloud or doing something equally distracting. Thomas works in the kitchen or sometimes on his bed.

Michelle B.
08-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Work where he might need help are done with everyone else. Things that are more "independent" are done in the office-on the floor even though there is ample desk space;) He brings the work done alone to me to check at around 2:00 or whenever it is done (depending on the day, buy we try to be done by then) Computers are not allowed upstairs-that includes adults unless dh is working from home.

wende
08-09-2013, 07:07 PM
DD13 - in her room on her futon, or out on the deck
DD16 - on the living room sofa or at the computer desk in the kitchen or out on the deck

Trudy
08-09-2013, 07:11 PM
On the couch in the living room and at the computer desk.

Merrilee Morse
08-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Ryan tends to move around. He starts on the couch in the morning, then moves into my bedroom and does the bulk of work on my bed. He also works on his math on the whiteboard in here in the afternoon. My bedroom is large, and it is the quietest room in the house. There is also a computer and desk in here, but he seldom uses the desk, he prefers being hunched over on my bed for some reason.

Nedra in California
08-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I have my 3rd high schooler right now. None of them have ever had a desk in their room. They have all schooled in a few different places...the living room, small office off of the living room, their room, or outside. I would say they do the bulk of their school work in their room on their bed. Math and writing are done on computer. My girls have usually read a lot out back on the swing. They have all grown up working with younger siblings around and are used to the sounds.

shonda in ca
08-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Third high school age kiddo coming up this fall.
Computer desk in family room, kitchen table, dining room table, living room or family room couch, bedrooms on their beds, my bedroom on bed.
They mostly write papers on their laptops or read books. Very little workbook stuff, so anywhere the laptop can go is legal. They do not take laptops into bedrooms, except for my oldest dd. She was able to her last year since she was writing pages and pages of persuasive essays and research papers and needed the quiet.

Cari
08-10-2013, 10:44 AM
DD19 always worked in her room. ALWAYS. She has a nice desk to do written work and use her laptop, and a comfy chair in the corner to settle down to read, or she reads in bed.

DD16 mostly works on the family room sofa, which really doesn't work all that well for anyone but she does it anyway. She has a perfectly good desk in her room, but usually has it piled so high with stuff she can't actually use it. She will read in her room, and sometimes sit on her bed and work, but the sofa is her primary spot.

DS12 still works at the kitchen table and family room computer desk. He sometimes complains of being distracted by DD9, but it's pretty rare. On the very rare occasion, he will take something up to his room to finish.

Becky in CA
08-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Because our current living situation is not conducive to getting it done, we're at local restaurants where there's free refills on drinks and a/c in the summer and heat in the winter. I wish the situation was different, but we're making it work.

When I had my own apt, the kids would do their school work in the places already mentioned...desks in their rooms, couch, floor, bed, etc.

AmyinWI
08-10-2013, 08:44 PM
My older ones usually end up in their rooms, because my little ones (especially the special needs kiddos) are very noisy and we have therapists going in and out of the house throughout the day. Very distracting around here!
Neither of them have desks in their rooms, they sit on their beds and do their work. On occasion they come downstairs to work on the computer,too. for short periods of time. We do have an older laptop that doesn't connect to the internet that they take upstairs to use the word processor on.

Cindy in CA
08-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I am really surprised that so many of your teens do their work on their beds. I think my son's neck would hurt him being slumped over. I have suggested so many times over the years for him to read at night in bed and he wants nothing to do with it. He sleeps in his bed and that is it.

My downstairs is completely open. We decided he will stay downstairs (kitchen table, family room chair) for as much of his time as possible. When his brother or I need to be in the kitchen he can just excuse himself to his room and I will let him know when he can come back out. If my boys are together they don't stop talking. If I let them hours will pass. They get so caught up in their conversations that they forget they are trying to get somewhere, doing school work etc. This is a constant problem in my home. I am always telling them, "you guys can talk about this in the car, we need to leave." I want him to take ownership of removing himself instead of blaming his brother for distracting him so I think having his room as an option will help him.

We went to Staples to look at desks. Since they are expensive and need to be assembled I decided to try garage sales. I hit many yesterday but didn't find a desk. I did get a computer chair for him for 2 bucks. I think we will try Goodwill when we have time. Hopefully I can find something for him before school starts.

My oldest needs quiet to concentrate so this is the only solution I can come up with. I am also surprised that most of you don't have trouble with your kids distracting each other. What am I doing wrong??

Merrilee Morse
08-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Cindy, you aren't doing anything wrong, just the opposite! In my loooonng experience I have found that homeschooled kids have a tendency to bond better than kids who are segregated in public school by age. They become friends and have lots to talk about with each other. My husband is constantly amazed by how well our boys get along; he grew up in a dysfunctional home where constant fighting was the norm. I have always found that when DJ was still being homeschooled, they worked better apart once they got beyond the FIAR years.

Cindy in CA
08-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Cindy, you aren't doing anything wrong, just the opposite! In my loooonng experience I have found that homeschooled kids have a tendency to bond better than kids who are segregated in public school by age. They become friends and have lots to talk about with each other. My husband is constantly amazed by how well our boys get along; he grew up in a dysfunctional home where constant fighting was the norm. I have always found that when DJ was still being homeschooled, they worked better apart once they got beyond the FIAR years.

Thanks Merrilee. I am blessed they are close.

Christi GA
08-12-2013, 06:54 AM
My oldest, Nick, has always done his written work/computer stuff at the kitchen table but I think I need to make some changes for the upcoming school year. His brother and I were a constant distraction to him. The kitchen is where all the activity is and I think he needs to move to his bedroom to do school, but I'm not sure if that is ideal either. He is going to be in 10th grade. I would need to purchase a desk and lamp for his room but that is fine. There really isn't much space either. Also, it just seems weird for him to be away from us and yet something has to change cause the distractions were a huge issue last year. My youngest, Ben does his work in another room upstairs and that works for him, but even so we tend to still be in the kitchen a lot and itis too noisy and distracting for Nick.
Where do your teens do their work? What has and hasn't worked for you as far as keeping them on tract.

Please brainstorm with me. I need to figure this out soon.

Thanks

Mine do theirs whereverbthey are comfortable as long as work is done well. That could mean liv room/bedroom/porch/school room couch/Ricke dining rm table on any given day.

Rachael
08-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Last year I brought my then 11th grader in the dining room to do her school. She would go down in her room and get distracted by her stuff and wind up drawing or whatnot. My then 9th grader had very similar issues. So this year, the bedrooms are off limits. My 12 grader stays at the dining table, my 10th grader stays at a desk by my desk, and my 4th grader moves around all over the place. He is a huge distraction. At times, I will take him in my bedroom to do a lesson, or I will send them to do a specific assignment in their bedrooms while he practices his paino.

My kids are easily distractible, but without me walking by, they are more likely to stay distracted in their rooms.

DD in IL
08-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Sometimes in his room (especially reading), kitchen table, living room couch, in the car on the way to somewhere

Leslie Nelsen
08-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Cindy, I don't know if this would help or not, but my oldest daughter often listens to music when she does her work (ear buds). She mostly sits at the table with us for all of her work. I couldn't work with music, but both of my oldest two have loved it. Just a thought. :)

Cindy in CA
08-30-2013, 02:48 PM
On Sat. I found a desk at a garage sale for $8.00! We started school on Monday. He is using the desk in his room only when the kitchen is busy and too distracting. This is working out great! He really likes having his own space and having quiet. He is responsible for leaving the kitchen if he is bothered by his brother. He can't complain anymore that we are distracting him because he has control and a choice of somewhere else that is comfortable to go. Thus far he is using my computer chair until I find another good one for his room. Having his own space is helping him be more productive and less distracted.

Thanks for the help!

laurie in ok
09-29-2013, 10:04 PM
My dd does her school work on her bed.

WendyW
09-29-2013, 11:45 PM
On Sat. I found a desk at a garage sale for $8.00! We started school on Monday.

Don't you just love how God often fulfills our needs in the nick of time? I suppose it's supposed to teach us patience!