PDA

View Full Version : Keyboarding?

Paige P
09-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Is there such a high school class these days? Or is it assumed that all kids know how to type by the time they're in high school? If they complete an actual program, can they get high school credit for it? Or is that a waste of time these days, and, instead, make sure they know all about it before then?

Hollie in SC
09-03-2013, 10:13 AM
SC requires a year of Computer Science for high school and half of that credit can be keyboarding.

CJ
09-15-2013, 03:00 PM
I was talking with a friend last night (she's a freshman) and she said she was doing this in a course called Computer Applications. She said by the end of the quarter, the teacher expects all of them to be typing 60wpm. She was stressed about it.

Laura JL
09-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Yes there is still such a thing :) My middle ds has been the only one to complain and say how ridiculous it is since he's been using a computer/keyboard for years. I give 1/2 credit for Keyboarding -- our ps allow this to be taken in 7th or 8th for their high school credit so that's typically when we do it. Then I give 1/2 credit to 1 credit for computer applications --- the credit amount depends upon how many applications are covered.

Michelle Pfeifer
09-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Some of my homeschool to public school parents were talking about typing recently. They had held off on teaching it, but when their kids went to public school, everyone had had typing/keyboarding the year before. So I guess it's a middle school course now.

Paige P
09-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Some of my homeschool to public school parents were talking about typing recently. They had held off on teaching it, but when their kids went to public school, everyone had had typing/keyboarding the year before. So I guess it's a middle school course now.

Michelle, does it count for high school credit like Laura mentioned? Do you know?

Shelly L
09-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Can you all tell me what you use to teach it? We dabbled in Dance Mat typing a few years ago, but my daughter would find it a bit childish at this point, I'm sure!

Christi GA
10-24-2013, 09:23 PM
My two older children are beginning to see a need for it. I don't know whether it should be counted or not, but they are pretty proficient with internet/research usage.
I am using www.goodtyping.com