PDA

View Full Version : math mistake? now what?

Rebe
09-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Okay, back when my ds (a senior) was seriously considering an S&T school, he would have needed 4 years of math for that. So even though math is his absolute worst subject, we went ahead and purchased TT Pre-Calculus for 12th grade. Well, he's done 7 lessons and he's not doing well. It takes him at least an hour and a half. At least. He's getting low C's on the lessons. He isn't enjoying it at all. From my past experience with TT, I'd say that his grades are just going to go down, because it tends to start fairly easy and then ramp it up. I can't teach one bit of this course -- it's totally foreign to me.

He's not planning to go to that school anymore. He says he's going into the Marines (a long-held dream of his). So if this is the case, then he doesn't need that 4th year of intense math. Most other colleges that I've seen don't require 4 years -- 3 seems to be acceptable at non-elite colleges. But at any rate, I don't think he's going into college -- at least not at the end of this year.

WWYD? Would you say, go ahead and drop the Pre-Calc course? If so, what to replace it with? He's already taking Personal Finance this semester. Is Consumer Math pretty much the same thing? Is there any other math or math-type course he could take?

Part of me says, he should stick with it. But honestly, I would have hated that as a teen -- taking a high-level math course I didn't want to take and didn't need and would likely pull down my GPA and make me spend hours and hours studying that I could be using for something I would actually get something out of (sorry, math people!). I would rather see him take something more practical, especially since his math skills are weak to begin with.

I feel kind of discouraged about this. Part of it is spending $80 on the calculator and $184 on the TT. But that's the way things go sometimes. Sigh.

WWYD?

CINDY LB OH
09-05-2013, 09:49 PM
If he's not planning on college any time soon, then I would drop it. A one semester personal finance for his senior year is actually plenty, I think.

Steph
09-06-2013, 12:01 AM
I would let him drop it, Rebe. Caleb started TT pre-calc. too and it didn't take long to see that this was not going to be good. Unless you have a student that is naturally math oriented, I really think you need an in person teacher for an advanced class like calc.

Caleb is going to do economics. No, it's not a math credit but he's already had personal finance and didn't really want to do consumer math.

WendyW
09-06-2013, 12:05 AM
I'd drop it. He's gotten plenty of math, and I see no need to replace it with another math course. If he needs the credit for his total, then find something he wants to learn. If he has enough credits to graduate, then why give him something that would just amount to busy work?

Kendra AU
09-06-2013, 02:29 AM
:group: I'd drop it if it wasn't essential UNLESS dropping it will make him feel like a failure with it. If that were the case I might see about switching to a programme that could better accommodate him or consider a math tutor. I know one in the US who does skype tutoring & such. BUT, if he's keen to just drop it & it's not something that will hang over him then I'd let it go. :)

Linda
09-06-2013, 09:36 AM
I'd let him drop it, unless he wants to continue. I have one that will fight to the bitter end, if she starts it she's finishing it.

I haven't used these for pre calc but I have used them for elem math and pre alg (pre alg and the calculator training I got to review while on TOS). I loved the way he taught. Emily did the pre alg and said he was great. Really easy to understand. So maybe, if he wanted to stick with it, these would be a good supplement? :unsure: They also have live classes, but I don't know anything about those.

http://www.mathtutordvd.com/

Melissa Crabtree
09-06-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm pretty sure TT has a money back guarantee too, so check into that!

Rebe
09-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks so much. I feel better about this now.

Steph, I especially appreciate hearing about Caleb, since our boys have been travelling a very similar road for a while now.

He's taking Econ now and he loves it. He's also taking Personal Finance.

But if he drops the Pre-Calc, then he's only got 4 credits this year. I would like him to have 5. Partly so he meets our state requirements for number of credits for graduation, and partly because 4 credits is a very "light" year, especially for a student who doesn't have a job. I guess we'll have to talk about how to get another credit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure TT has a money back guarantee too, so check into that!

Oh my goodness. I never even considered that. Thank you!

Paige P
09-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Rebe, can he get a job and let it be work/study credit like they do in schools?

Michelle Pfeifer
09-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Or is there some independent study he could do? Some subject he's had an interest in, but has never gotten around to.

Robin in Colorado
09-06-2013, 11:58 PM
What about adding a fun credit? A certain young lady I know is combining hunter safety, the concealed carry handgun class, self-defense, weapon safety, and a little Red Cross training for a sort of a "first responder / self defense" elective credit.

Rachel Jane
09-07-2013, 07:17 AM
What about adding a fun credit? A certain young lady I know is combining hunter safety, the concealed carry handgun class, self-defense, weapon safety, and a little Red Cross training for a sort of a "first responder / self defense" elective credit.

awesome.

Rebe
09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas. We'll need to come up with something...

TT is letting me return Pre-Calculus for a refund! :thumb:

Rachel Jane
09-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas. We'll need to come up with something...

TT is letting me return Pre-Calculus for a refund! :thumb:

:clap: