PDA

View Full Version : Grading composition work

Michelle Pfeifer
09-13-2013, 08:49 AM
How do you grade your child's composition work? Do you give one grade for content and a second grade for mechanics? Or do you give one grade that covers both?

DS1 is very good at putting down what he wants to say, but his punctuation and form are weak.

What do others do?

Michelle

Laura F
09-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Are you familiar with rubrics? I use rubrics with my own girls and always used them when I was teaching in the classroom. That allows you to give credit for ideas AND mechanics. You will need to tailor your rubric so that it's appropriate for the writing assignment. In other words, you're grading differently for research papers and creative topics.

For example, if he's writing a typical 5-paragraph essay, and you make the assignment worth 50 points, you might use a rubric like this:

Topic sentence in each paragraph: _/5
Thesis sentence: __/10
Supporting examples, facts: __/10
Conclusion (that doesn't restate the thesis): _/5
Capitalization: _/5
Punctuation: _/5
Sentence structure: __/10

Total: __/50

Rebe
09-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I had an English teacher once who gave three grades: Content, mechanics, and style. I loved that, as a student.

That said, I just give one grade. I need to do it the other way though -- I think it helps so much to break it down.

I've never been a fan of rubrics (although like Laura mentioned, many teachers love them). So the 3-point breakdown is a good compromise for me.