PDA

View Full Version : Grading music

DD in IL
09-13-2013, 06:26 PM
DGS is taking piano and voice. How do we access a grade for music credit?

Linda
09-13-2013, 06:44 PM
I look at how my kids practice. The time they put in, the quality of time put in, etc. I don't count it by how well they perform because I have some marvelous musicians and some not so marvelous ;) :lol: They practice the amount of time I tell them to, memorize the pieces they are to memorize, have some type of forward movement in their overall accomplishments, they get a good grade.

Oh, if he has any type of theory work, I'd grade that the way I'd grade any other type of actual book work.

CINDY LB OH
09-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Yes. I would keep track of time spent in order to fulfill a credit.

As far as grade, that's a bit tougher. My dd is a voice/music major in college and for her voice lessons she has to do papers on all her performance pieces as part of her grade. I don't know what she includes in them, but you could include info about the composer, where and when it was written, and the history behind why it was written. He could keep a notebook of those to turn in at the end of the year.

Melissa Crabtree
09-13-2013, 07:50 PM
When I was in high school, I was in a LOT of choir classes! My grade was based on how hard I worked in class and if I showed up to stuff. I think we had a few theory quizzes too.

DD in IL
09-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Cindy, I really like the idea of learning about the composers. He puts in his time and works hard but sometimes he works harder on the music he wants to learn versus what the teacher assigned. We are trying to get him to understand that is great to want to learn new stuff on your own but you still have to go with assigned as well. Linda, the moving forward is a good gauge too. Thanks, ladies.