PDA

View Full Version : Highschool Record Keeping..

Kendra AU
09-25-2013, 03:16 AM
Do you feel the need to keep scrupulous records of your child's highschool career if your not required by your local school district or your local university/college?

Our eldest will be officially in highschool as far as our state is concerned as of next February. It's not required, in any way, that I keep track of credits, hours, or anything else in those regards. If you do keep them, by your own choice, what do you keep track of? If you don't keep track of them do you worry about proof for university or just for the sake of having them to fall back on should you move or be called to provide some kinda proof?

Paige P
09-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Kendra, I would guess it's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. What are the chances you can get into "trouble" hsing wise without records?

I would think that in the US everyone is required to keep records. Yes, different states vary on the details of those records, but I think most people who intend to have their dc go on to college keep fairly detailed records, just so they can have "proof" of what's been covered, course descriptions of what the dc has done, etc.

Rachel Jane
09-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Do you feel the need to keep scrupulous records of your child's highschool career if your not required by your local school district or your local university/college?

Our eldest will be officially in highschool as far as our state is concerned as of next February. It's not required, in any way, that I keep track of credits, hours, or anything else in those regards. If you do keep them, by your own choice, what do you keep track of? If you don't keep track of them do you worry about proof for university or just for the sake of having them to fall back on should you move or be called to provide some kinda proof?

I wrote down title of classes, books used, grades received and kept a sample of their work...just in case.
For example:
Jer's english for 10th grade was One Year Adventure novel, I wrote down OYAN and books he read as go alongs for the year and have the book he wrote and grades for the OYAN assignments.
(Actually, we did Lord of the Rings and OYAN simultaneously for two years. I just recorded one as one year and the other as the other)

Rebe
09-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Even if you don't have to keep records of any kind, if you think there is any possibility at all in the future where you would need records or "proof" of anything, it's so much easier to write things down now than it is to try to remember four years of work, sometime down the road. I know moms who didn't keep records and then really regretted it when they had to do the transcript completely from scratch. It took forever, and they probably forgot a lot.

I keep track of what RJ keeps track of, plus extracurricular activities and volunteer activities.

Kendra AU
09-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Oh yes, I do have to keep proof of things done. But as far as they are concerned, pulling out the mathbook & showing he did some works for them, posting things on my blog with pictures of them doing the work is enough. Me, I'm more about keeping detailed records: What books did you read, what grades did you achieve, etc. I'm not at all above being scrupulous in my record keeping! I'm struggling with grades though.

Math is simple enough to figure out, easy peasy, but I'm struggling in other areas. For instance with science he has: Reading, experiments, writing, retelling, & vocabulary. How do I grade that?! Do I consider a portion of his grade for each area? I'm thinking negative, because experiments are notorious for going wrong, or not getting the same results. Ha! Plus, some of his labs are able to be done by simply watching them be performed.

What about history where we don't do tests, but read the books & discuss them aloud? How do I grade that?

I need hand holding for the grading! :lol: Do you have something you base it all on?

Rj, how did you grade his OYAN? Muggins was going to do that last year, but I realised he had to be at least 13 to use the message board & he wasn't, so we skipped it. It was back on the cards for this year, but we learned a friend will be using it the following year & they could do it together. I'm tough when it comes to writing, but for me it's more about: Did you follow the guidelines in place {word count, used specific types of writing requested, etc.} more then is your punctuation where it belongs & are your words all spelled right. ;)

When you ladies say portfolio you're talking taking some of their best pieces of work from each subject & putting them together to create a showpiece they can share, if called upon, right? Can you tell we don't have to do them here?! ;)

Kendra AU
09-25-2013, 11:49 PM
I should ask, too, what do you use to keep track of things with? Just because I'm curious. Ha!

Rachel Jane
09-26-2013, 06:23 AM
I should ask, too, what do you use to keep track of things with? Just because I'm curious. Ha!

spiral note book

oyan has assignments and I graded them on the quality of the answers.

Heather W
09-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Long live the spiral notebook!

Joy in Alabama
09-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Math is simple enough to figure out, easy peasy, but I'm struggling in other areas. For instance with science he has: Reading, experiments, writing, retelling, & vocabulary. How do I grade that?! Do I consider a portion of his grade for each area? I'm thinking negative, because experiments are notorious for going wrong, or not getting the same results. Ha! Plus, some of his labs are able to be done by simply watching them be performed.

What about history where we don't do tests, but read the books & discuss them aloud? How do I grade that?

I need hand holding for the grading! :lol: Do you have something you base it all on?

Kendra,
There are a couple of ways to grade subjects. Of course, if there are tests, then that's easy. If there's no test, you might assign a project or a paper or several of one or the other and base the course grade on those. Some subjects, like things that are just reading (history, for example) or PE, would be graded on participation/attitude/preparedness/meeting the deadlines. You could decide what percentage of the grade will be for each component of the course (ex: reading 20%, experiments 30%, etc.) and grade each component separately.

HTH!

Kendra AU
10-06-2013, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the input ladies! :)

Anyone use My Homeschooling Grades (https://myhomeschoolgrades.com/)? Maybe I should start a new topic about that..

Becky in CA
10-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Kendra, I've never seen that site before. Thanks for posting it. I like the look of MHSG, but I'm not sure I like having to pay for it annually. :unsure:

BTW, I use a combination of a form I got in The Master Planner download and an old record keeping software called Homeschool Solutions.