PDA

View Full Version : Giving High School credit to 7th and 8th graders?

Kim in IN
10-01-2013, 09:49 AM
I have a question. I am teaching an Art class that I am offering for credit. I teach 2 sections of it. One is for High schoolers and they need to do additional projects on their own outside of class in order to earn the credit. The other class for the 6-8th graders are doing the same projects in class as the High school kids. If they do the additional work outside of class can they earn a credit as well?? How does that work? We do not have to do anything in our state (IN) as far as testing or records prior to High school.
Help!

Kim

Rebe
10-01-2013, 10:04 AM
The way I understand it, it would be more up to the parent than up to you. The parent can give high school credit by using an asterisk or some other indicator on the transcript that the class was high school level,, but was taken in 8th grade.

BUT -- and this is just my personal opinion ... I wouldn't give high school credit to a 7th grader. And (again, this is my opinion), I wouldn't give it for an elective class. I would only give it for something that was obviously a high school class to anyone at a college looking at the transcript. This would be (for instance): Algebra 1, Physical Science, or some other class that's typically taken in high school.

But I think it's just up to the parent. To me, giving high school credit for a non-core class is too wishy-washy in terms of requirements; it's too subjective. If they do decide to do it, they should document the requirements of the class. The fact that it's being taught by an outside teacher is something in their favor, I think.

Hollie in SC
10-01-2013, 10:15 AM
I was told that I couldn't give elective credit for high school unless they were taking core classes for high school at the same time. I'm not sure that is true, but I've stuck to it. :)

Paige P
10-01-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm going to agree with Hollie and Rebe about not giving elective credit to non-high schoolers (unless, as Hollie said, you're also taking other high school classes), BUT I thought I'd mention that one way I've seen a transcript written is to "adjust" the dates that the child is in school, so if you enter 9th grade in 2013 and graduate in 2017 but had high school credit classes in 8th grade, your transcript may just say 2012 -2017. Does that make sense? Then there's no other BIG flag of how many classes were done in 8th, etc. The actual years you took the classes aren't mentioned; only the classes are listed.

Heather W
10-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Here in NY, it is just put on the transcript when you report it. So, at the end of 9th grade you list credits earned- including anything from middle school.

I think credits earned is more about work load and hours in than anything else.

Laura JL
10-03-2013, 02:08 AM
Like Hollie we don't award a credit for an elective in 7th/8th unless they also take one Core class. It may be more of a state specific thing, but I know that's also how they handle it in our public schools.

Jennifer in VA
10-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Sat in on a Transcript class given by HSLDA about a year ago. The question was raised about 8th grade and high school class. The bottom line was that if an 8th grader was taking Algebra 1, Biology, a high school type history class, and a high school type English Class, why aren't you calling them a 9th grader. 1, maybe 2 core type classes were fine. Art for 6 - 8 is just for those kids and wouldn't necessarily be a high school class.