PDA

View Full Version : Biology Lite?

Amanda in RI
10-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Hey ladies,

We're in the throes of high school here. My older daughter is NOT a scholar. I hate to put it that bluntly, but she struggles. Hard worker? You won't find a more diligent student. But her brain is like a sieve, and she has a lot of trouble understanding info (math, grammar, science, you name it, we've had a hard time with it), and even more trouble retaining the information.

She is 15, and in 10th grade. She slogs her way through her work, but biology is just killing her. She doesn't GET it. She's taking the class at our co-op, using Apologia. I'm thrilled that she'll get hands on labs, but she just doesn't understand anything she's learning.

Any suggestions for an easier program? One that I can still give her a high school credit for? It's breaking my heart to see her joy in learning just sucked away. And the fact is, she isn't going to be a scientist, or probably even go into a field that needs this, so it's hard to justify having her struggle so much.

Thanks,
Amanda

Heather W
10-02-2013, 04:38 PM
You could design a biology course that is more suited to her learning style and needs for sure. You may not find it in a curriculum to purchase.

Would she do better with unit studies on biology? My daughter is in 8th grade, but her science this year is biology. The first quarter she is doing a snake project.

This is not all fluffy. She has to do classification, cell structure, anatomy and physiology, habitat, life cycle, etc. We worked together on what she will find out and she has taken the lead.

I plan to have her do three more quarter long studies that will cover all the concepts of biology that would make up a whole course.

Alternatively, you could slow down Apologia and take two years to do it. If she isn't going to earn gobs of science credits, she could just take longer to complete the ones she does.

CJ
10-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Our E.S.D. used this for Biology credit for those that weren't going to college or weren't strong in science:
www.amazon.com/Biology-Easy-Way-Barrons-E-Z/dp/0764113585/

Another "lite" way to get the Biology credit is to do the AO LifePac:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AOP-LifePac-HOMESCHOOLING-10th-Grade-10-BIOLOGY-Science-Workbooks-Set-/170882961894

There are also some things on CurrClick.com:
http://www.currclick.com/index.php?filters=0_30516_0_0_0_0_0_0

Becky in CA
10-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Maybe Biology 101? Some middle school life science things can be beefed up with research/reading to make it HS level.

CINDY LB OH
10-02-2013, 08:15 PM
My ds15 is in 9th grade and we are doing a combination of Apologia's Gen. Science and Phy. Science. He also has a hard time understanding concepts. He is very visually-oriented + having auditory processing issues. Apologia does not lend itself well to a visual learner. So have to supplement with pictures, dvds, diagrams, graphic organizers, brain maps, and right-brain memory strategies. Having to come up with all these extras is pushing my own brain power though. :lol: I try to do most of these things with him so he can learn to do it for himself eventually. For example, his vocabulary cards have pictures embedded on the words to help him remember the definitions.

As long as she is a good reader, than maybe implementing some visual strategies will help. My ds also has dyslexia so it's even tougher, but these strategies are a big help for him.

- - - Updated - - -

HeatherW-- That's a great idea you are doing with R. Have you thought about putting together a middle school biology guide based on what you are doing with her? I would buy something like that. Just a thought. ;)

Heather W
10-02-2013, 08:52 PM
I will think on it Cindy. Thanks for the encouragement to write what she is doing down and see how it looks as a package. :)

Heather (WI)
10-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Amanda,

I have a homeschool mom friend who chose Paradigm for her high school dd's science for similar reasons as you. She told me that it was designed for students in remedial high school courses, and they have been very happy with it. Her daughter LOVES the Integrated Physics and Chemistry.
Here is the link to Biology: http://www.christianbook.com/principles-theories-precepts-biology-full-course/9781594762451/pd/62453?item_code=WW&netp_id=486671&event=ESRCG&view=details

- - - Updated - - -

Here's part of the description from Christian Book Distributors:

Product Description

Principles, Theories, and Precepts of Biology is the perfect introduction to biology for struggling students. The basic concepts and vocabulary are introduced to students in short chapters; questions and reinforcement exercises are given in the activities booklet. Learn about cells, bacteria, classification kingdoms, evolution from a young-earth creationist perspective, and more.
Activity Books include fill-in-the-blank workbook pages with multiple choice, matching, and true/false questions, as well as room to write in the "life principle."

Amanda in RI
10-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Thank you all so much for the ideas! I'm going to show some of these to dh & see what he thinks! :)

Laura JL
10-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Biology 101 has a guide with "extras" that you can use with it for high school. Queen's homeschool also has their Discovering Nature Science series and Summer by the Sea is their Biology course for high school - it's set up for the student to read a "story" or lesson on day 1 of the week and then there are generally 3-5 additional things for the week where the student must research to learn about the information in the story. The student can get as involved as they desire in the work or as you require. Because they do all their work in the book and add pictures (either from on-line or their own drawings) plus the ansers to the research they end up with a really neat Biology Journal by the end of the year. For example Monday ds read the story and looked over the additional research needs for the week; Tuesday he researched fish native to Maine and selected 4 to add to his notebook (since he's not much on drawing he printed off pics of the fish) and included info about them and their scientific name and classification; today he researched Freshwater v Saltwater habitats; There was also a page on zooplankton and phytoplankton that he's worked one and I believe he has one more page on a related topic to research but I don't recall what it was.

We use the two programs with Prentice Halls Biology to fulfill an Honors credit for Bio. but the Queen's is really a full Bio credit program just written in a different format. The only draw-back w/ the Queen Bio is that it doesn't schedule dissections if that's important to you and you would need to add in more labs.

Joy in Alabama
10-03-2013, 07:11 AM
I'm using CK12 (http://ck12.org) Earth Science Concepts this year, thanks to Heather W's suggestion. :thumb: It's free and they have lots of science choices (but it's not Christian). Last week, I found a free course a mom has done (http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/biology/biology_books.html)that makes the CK12 Biology into a Christian course. She's put a great deal of work into it and it looks really good. Heather W, I've been wondering if you already knew about this.

Take a look! I don't need it yet, but have bookmarked it for later. (yuck, that comment sounds like Pinterest! :roflol:)

Amanda in RI
10-03-2013, 12:49 PM
I think my biggest hesitation with any course (that she wouldn't be doing at co-op) is the fact that I'm not very 'science-y'. If I have to help her a lot, it's seriously going to be like I'm in biology again, and I do NOT want to do that. :( We didn't have this issue with my son, because he managed the class without much help from me at all.

Hollie in SC
10-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Apologia is far more than we ever covered in honors bio in high school.

I was also thinking about unit studies --maybe even some high school aged Hands of a Child Lapbooks, reports, etc. Maybe planned around the Barrons book?
http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/E-Z+Biology/021551/a55cabd91e65e240baf0b48f?subject=11&category=3299

I remembered this site, but have no clue if it is good:
http://www.gavirtuallearning.org/Resources/SharedBiology%28ScienceCopy%29.aspx

You also may just need to really look at different curriculum samples and see if they are as intense. :unsure: :group: (We're struggling in one subject with Eli's learning issues and I really feel your pain, friend. :group: )
https://www.aophomeschooling.com/product/sci1015#product_tabbed_info
http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/biology-a-search-for-order-in-complexity-second-edition-student-text/

Heather W
10-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Cool site Joy! I may have to use some of her printouts. :)

Rebe
10-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Apologia is far more than we ever covered in honors bio in high school.

I agree. In fact, I'm pretty much convinced that all Apologia books are really rigorous (from General Science on, which is all we've done). I heard Dr. Wile speak once and he assured us that his texts were rigorous, but until my own dc were doing them, I didn't see if for myself. Also, typical schools rarely finish the book. In my dc's learning center, they do the entire book, no exceptions.

I have two dc who have done pretty well with Apologia (although I'm planning to pray my oldest through Physics this year -- it is tough!). But I'm seriously thinking that my middle ds won't be able to do Apologia. I'm glad to see that there are other options that are still h.s. level but aren't so hard.

Joy in Alabama
10-03-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree. In fact, I'm pretty much convinced that all Apologia books are really rigorous (from General Science on, which is all we've done). I heard Dr. Wile speak once and he assured us that his texts were rigorous, but until my own dc were doing them, I didn't see if for myself. Also, typical schools rarely finish the book. In my dc's learning center, they do the entire book, no exceptions.

I have two dc who have done pretty well with Apologia (although I'm planning to pray my oldest through Physics this year -- it is tough!). But I'm seriously thinking that my middle ds won't be able to do Apologia. I'm glad to see that there are other options that are still h.s. level but aren't so hard.

Some of my kids have made it through Apologia, kicking and screaming, but the Carrie and Thomas just.can't.handle.it. I know Abby won't want to do it, either. I, personally, like it - I like the worldview a lot. But it's soooo much reading and he's sooo wordy. And these kids just aren't science minded and have no intention of having a job which would require it.

For several of my kids, I've used high school level coloring books (http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Coloring-Book-Robert-Griffin/dp/0064603075/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380827133&sr=8-1&keywords=biology+coloring+book). We used one for botany, one for anatomy, and one of the kids who was squeamish used one for biology.

Amanda in RI
10-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Thank you again for all of the suggestions! We're going with Biology 101, and I'm psyched because a friend already owns it and is letting me borrow it! Such a blessing since we've already purchased so much curriculum this year. :)

Linda
10-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Have you thought of a living books approach? I'm investigating this approach for one of my kids. I'm having her do Apologia Physical Science for her Freshman year and then I'm thinking of dropping the text books and trying the living books approach with her. Not real sure yet. Both dh and I being science majors it's hard to imagine doing something so crazy and radical. ;) :lol:

I'm going to check out some of the links people have posted in this thread. Thanks for asking the question. :)

What's interesting about Apologia, Emily is taking Physics through a co op this year. The teacher won't use Apologia for Chem or Physics, she said it's not rigorous enough in her opinion, not nearly enough math and the way chemistry topics were introduced were out of order than any way she's ever seen it taught. :lol: Emily did all of Apologia sciences on her own, gen. science through Chem. She said Chemistry was a bit of a mess the way it was presented, but she got it done.