PDA

View Full Version : Do you combine any of your kids for high school classes?

Tricia O
10-08-2013, 11:08 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here combines your kids for high school classes, particularly science or history, and if so, how did you work that out? FWIW we'll likely be using Sonlight for history/literature & Apologia for science, along with Teaching Textbooks for math. Oldest will begin Algebra I in 9th & other 2 in 8th or maybe even 7th for our youngest. All are 2 years apart in school.
Our plan for oldest daughter is:
9th - world history, biology, algebra I
10th - US history or government/economics (depending on whether she may want to apply to my alma mater for her jr/sr years), chemistry, geometry
11th - 20th century world history (core 300), physics, algebra II
12th - government/economics, advanced biology (most likely since she's not at all "mathy"), precalculus

Younger two are more mathy and may be more likely to want to apply to my alma mater, the MS school for math & science, if I can bear to let them go (as it is a residential high school where they would be 4+ hours away).

ETA When oldest is in 11th grade, second dd will be in 9th grade. When oldest is a sr, middle dd will be in 10th grade. Then it will be the same all over again but with middle dd being the jr & sr while "baby" boy is in 9th & 10th.

Kendra AU
10-09-2013, 04:42 AM
I don't see that happening in our home. With the two grade gap between my kids I don't see it happening. With the Apologia science they are doing it on their own anyway, they tend to do their own Math lectures & lessons & I check in with them to be sure they are grasping it. They are moving that way with the SL Cores as well.

Rachel Jane
10-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I did for particular subjects:
Jer did a full biology course and Luke joined us for the labs and did the book work later. It worked well.
They did Lord of the Rings together
They did Economics and Government together.

Joy in Alabama
10-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I combined 2 girls with literature analysis(both high school level). I can certainly see combining history - I do that all the time, no matter the ages. If you used TruthQuest it would be a snap to combine the high schoolers, as well whole family. World geography would work for 2 kids, too. You don't have to do high school history classes in "order". I think if you did more of a real books approach instead of a textbook, you could combine science. I did a botany course for my high schooler and elementary student. Seems like you could combine a lot of electives. Looking at your list, you may have to rearrange some things to make this work.

Rebe
10-09-2013, 09:49 AM
I did this for a Literary Analysis class last year and it worked well. My 11th grader was strictly a logical, linear thinker and not intuitive at all (hates literary analysis) and my 8th grade dd was very intuitive, a good writer, and loves literature and analysis. So together they did fine -- it helped my ds tremendously to discuss these things with his sister rather than just with me, and my dd is a natural teacher, so she was able to explain things and work with her brother to get him to see what was going on. (She did this class for high school credit in 8th grade.)

I haven't been able to combine them for anything else, though.

Heather W
10-09-2013, 11:35 AM
My 8th grader and 10th grader are doing high school lit together. I'm doing geography as a family this year for fun.

So, yes here and there we will combine. There are many things we do not combine.

Linda
10-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Shakespeare and other lit analysis. My middle two will probably remain in science together.

We have a Charlotte Mason co op where all the ages get together to study Shakespeare, hymn, folk songs, composer study, artist study, poetry, handicrafts, nature study and then break for the lit groups, where we've broken them into three age groups. 7th and up are in the higher lit study. It's been a lot of fun. :thumb:

CJ
10-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I think we've only done it for things that would fall under "electives".

*Culinary Arts
*Music History
*Music Theory
*Band
*Photography
*Interior Design
*Computer Applications

JuliaT
10-14-2013, 09:15 AM
My kids are all 2 yrs apart and we do some subjects together. We use Tapestry of Grace and they roll history, literature and geography all together. We do those subjects as a family. I have different expectations for each child. My oldest,who is in Gr.9 writes more and reads more for the above subjects. I may use different supplement resources to go along with the age of the child but the core resources are the same.