PDA

View Full Version : Career Planning?

Loralin
10-10-2013, 11:47 AM
My son is in college taking pre-requisites for nursing. Due to his health, we are second guessing ourselves. Typically nurses work 8-12 hour shifts. Josiah's health wouldn't hold up to that. Then we have heard about a radiologist technician or an operating technician. He just is not sure what are his options. He told me yesterday that he would like to become a doctor. How do you get the information to help someone make wise choices? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Kelly K
10-10-2013, 01:05 PM
If you think his health won't hold up to being a nurse, he certainly wouldn't be able to complete a doctor's residency program. My sister is a doctor. I've told my kids there are 2 things they can't be - a doctor and an astronaut. I told them they can't be a doctor because of the hours a doctor works. Even when you're home you bring work with you. My sister works "part time". I don't know what her hours are supposed to be, but what that means for her is that she has Mondays off.

I would go around and find some people to talk to that are in these career fields.

Miranda.in.WA
10-10-2013, 04:14 PM
My oldest daughter is a Sr. at Northwest university in Kirkland taking nursing. The homework is gruelling. She does classes 3 days and clinical rotation 2 days each week. Currently she's on a PEDs rotation at Children's in the surgery unit.

The school is amazing and with it being local, you might want to check them out. They would very easily be able to tell you in detail what the next 4 years would look like.

Not all nurses work full time. A friend got tired of the 12 hr ER hospital shifts after many years and is now working at the day surgery center. Her hours are while kids are in school. :)

Let me know if you'd like me to put your son in touch with one of the men nursing students at NW. There are a handful and they are all pretty amazing Christian men.

Esther-Alabama
10-10-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm a nurse and I've worked many different jobs.

I did 8-12 hour night shifts and it was hard on my body.

I did Monday through Friday day shift in an office as a case manager of a home health agency.

I did PRN (as needed) in a hospital setting....working shifts, but only when I wanted, so usually one a week.

My nurse friends have done everything from poison control nurse(shift work, but desk work, only), school nurse, camp nurse, on call nurse (worked from home as an on call nurse for a pediatrics office) and insurance case manager (desk work).

But I am going to tell you that he will need experience. Most people get their experience in a hospital setting. However, if I were Josiah, I would make an appointment with local hospital human resources director. I would talk to that person honestly about his health and his career choice of nursing. This person will know whether or not hospital nursing will even be a possibility for him. If he cannot work as a hospital nurse, I doubt he could work as an X-ray tech or an OR tech. There are actual physical qualifications for working as a nurse in a hospital, due to the physical demands of the patients.

I am in no way trying to discourage him from becoming a nurse. Because it is a very flexible career overall. Has he started his clinicials yet? If so, how many hours are the clinicals? 4 or 8 hours? How does he feel afterwards? Hospital nursing is quite demanding physically, so perhaps office nursing or school nursing or camp nursing would be a better bet for him.

He can also continue his education, get an advanced degree and then he will have even more options for nursing outside of a hospital setting.

Does any of to make sense?

Alicia
10-12-2013, 01:24 PM
My dil is an oncology nurse at a very big children's hospital. She works as the liaison between the doctors and the patients and their parents. She has worked full-time at her job in the past, but has also worked part-time and very part-time in a job share situation. There are options out there.