PDA

View Full Version : Would this class interest you?

Shannon P
10-21-2013, 04:05 PM
I know of a drama class that rarely has enough interest (from public school students) to run. I think maybe homeschoolers would be interested in it and am considering marketing it more to homeschoolers. I'd like to know what you think.

The class is inter-generational theater, open to teens. The kids interview senior citizens and then write scripts and perform based on those narratives. They experience the entire process, from interviews and research to final performance. Each student generally writes a narrative scene and delivers a monologue by the main character. Due to the small size of the group, the performance is ensemble style, meaning they all play other characters in each others' scenes. They end up getting a lot of stage time.

As an example, the group previously wrote a Christmas play. They interviewed seniors about their Christmas memories. One scene was a childhood memory of the family struggling to find joy in Christmas when they didn't have money during the Depression. Another scene was a childhood memory of Kwanza celebrated in their native Africa before emigrating here, performed by an African American student.

They perform at several different retirement communities, and a performance with the other assorted troupes for family and friends. Their costumes, if any, are simple additions to their uniform T shirts, because they need to retain quick versatility and be inexpensive. They use basic boxes as set pieces and use some props as appropriate.

The leader of the troupe has a degree in social work with the aged, with a minor in theater. In fact, this inter-generational theater was her graduation thesis project. She also runs another troupe for younger kids in which the kids create and perform a fun story. (She does all the writing for that one.) She is a very energetic, unique individual, and very experienced in children's theater.

They meet 2 hours per week, plus some extra time for interviews, performances and an extra rehearsal if necessary. I would probably suggest it could count as a 1/2 credit (1 semester) of drama/fine arts. The project could also count toward English and history assignments. I could make a list of academic standards.

It costs $150 per semester, and requires 4 students to break even.

Is this something that would interest you?

Rebe
10-21-2013, 10:22 PM
:yes: Very much so! But keep in mind I was first a theatre major, then an English major, so this is right up my alley.

Now, from the perspective of a mom, my older three dc (sadly, tragically) wouldn't be interested in this at all. None of them have been bitten by the performance bug even a little bit. It's possibly my youngest will be, but it's too soon to tell.

Of course, it all depends on kids who are interested, not just their moms. But I certainly would have been, as a high schooler. It sounds like a great class and the troupe leader sounds amazing.

Leslie Nelsen
10-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Yes! Theatre experiences are in high demand in our area for homeschoolers. There is a somewhat local group that is always FULL early in the year for the upcoming year. The group that my daughter has performed with in the summer also fills very quickly. I think it sounds like a really neat experience!!!

Shelly L
10-22-2013, 08:30 AM
A definite yes at my house, especially with the added incentives of working with seniors citizens and writing!! My daughter loves acting and I am considering teaching an intro-type drama class myself. This sounds like a great experience!!

Robin in Colorado
10-22-2013, 08:48 AM
it would be a 'go' at our house.

Rachel Jane
10-22-2013, 08:55 AM
My sons would have participated happily. :)
They did drama with a community group for 4 years. Prior to that, they used to say that they only thing they wanted from a traditional school was drama/theater classes.

Melinda
10-22-2013, 09:37 AM
I love this idea! My kids would be all over it! I think it's an interesting twist on drama with the interviewing and writing aspect.