PDA

View Full Version : For those of you homeschooling junior high students ...

Julie Y
10-24-2013, 11:58 AM
... I just want to affirm you for persevering. :clap: Yay for you!

My dd started at a charter prep this year for 8th grade. I love the high school and would prefer to wait until 9th or 10th grade to put my kids in, but the school has a particular math program that begins in 8th grade, which is why we sent her this year.

I am being reminded of all the things that I dislike about junior high and why I always said, "I'll never send my kids to school in junior high." :unsure:

It's just a mean age (in my opinion) and my dd seems to be becoming very much like the typical, shallow junior high kid that we had hoped to avoid by homeschooling.

Soooo, if you're having a hard time with your homeschooled middle schoolers, hang in there! Although we don't plan to change course now (because there are definite benefits to this particular school for our family), I can see I'm going to need to do a lot of praying (http://www.fiveinarowforums.com/forumdisplay.php?11-The-Prayer-Place) for the next few years!

Cindy in CA
10-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Middle school is hard, Julie! Thanks for the encouragement. The boy definitely challenges me. The mood swings and the attitude is difficult. I think kids at this age are trying to hard to pull away and be independent, and yet they are still very childlike and need us so much. Tough age for everyone, especially for them!

:)

Robin in Colorado
10-27-2013, 05:05 PM
It is hard. I do feel like "an old hand" at it, though, because when I taught ps, that was my area. Such a crazy time for people. It always helps me to remember how much I enjoyed my ps students, and to remember how different every day was - different with them, and different for them. It's a good perspective. :)