PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep High Schoolers on schedule????

Alice R
10-26-2013, 01:47 PM
My 10th grader can take hours, literally, to do a subject. Every time I check on him, he is working. Seriously?

I have tried breaking his subjects up into time blocks. From 10 to 11am is math. From 11 to 12 is history. etc. I really don't care how long it takes to do math but he runs out of time at the end of the day and things aren't finished.

He does not have any special learning needs...he is a just a slow moving child, I guess?

Do you just leave him alone and let him poke along? Should I do something?

Is there a secret I don't know about or something I'm not doing?

Joy in Alabama
10-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Alice,
I'm not sure you can solve it if he works slowly. I have a (now grown up) dd who works slowly - she's very smart, just takes longer with work. I set out the schoolwork I want done in a week and expect my high schooler to do it without me standing over her. If she gets the bulk of it done, I'm happy. I'll just carry over what didn't get done to the next week.

If he is not getting a substantial amount of work done during school hours, then I guess I would make him do some at night. High school takes a lot of time and is a good bit of work. Period. It might mean giving up some personal time, if he can't get it done faster or he might just have to work through the summer.

Kendra AU
10-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Has he always worked slowly?
Does he understand the information he's working with?
Does he take that long with other things?
How long is long?
Does he need to do each of the things on his daily list each day?
Can they be broken into smaller chunks in order for him to get it done in an appropriate time?
Does HE mind that it's taking that long?

I'll be honest, when I think I have a poker amongst my group I offer out a reward: "If you can get your work done by ... then you can do/have ...." Generally it's something they've been asking about for a while, "Can we go to.. Can we watch ... When will we get to do.." Mind you, I don't have a 10th grader, but I do have one who will drag his feet if he can.

Miranda.in.WA
10-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Are his assignments broken out by day?

Is there one subject that he never tends to get to because he 'runs out if time'.

Does he have too many subjects to manage and possibly feeling overwhelmed?

This was the boat I was in with my 10th grader, until we attended a study skills workshop together last month. It was awesome and totally changed his attitude and mine. We have put the teacher's suggestions unto practice and have seen much success in the last several weeks. I can hardly believe it, but my son has gotten all his assignments done by early afternoon each Friday.

I'd be happy to pass on the ideas we got. Kendra asked some great questions too. :)

Rachel Jane
10-27-2013, 07:39 AM
I'd be happy to pass on the ideas we got. Kendra asked some great questions too. :)

yes, please!

Tricia O
10-27-2013, 07:55 AM

Would definitely be interested!

Ginger Lynn
10-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Yes, I would like to know, too!

Becky in CA
10-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Jeff asked me several months ago to be allowed to do things slower, so he could really learn what he's meant to learn. He said he didn't care if it took an extra year; he'd rather not get rushed through just to graduate. (Since the extra year wasn't going to bother him, I went ahead and allowed it. I don't think it'll take a whole year more, but we never know.) I thought that was a very mature decision on his part. Must've had a great teacher! :roflol:

Cindy in CA
10-27-2013, 05:51 PM
I am reading with interest because my 10th grade son is so slow too.

Is your son working on the computer for any of his subjects? Mine will sometimes open another window, for instance, when he is doing his French or Math online, he will also go on a chess website that he loves. He takes forever anyhow, but sometimes he is admittedly because he was doing something else at the same time.

I would love to hear, Miranda, please do share.

My son has to work on the weekends this school year. He hasn't figured out how to manage his time yet, but I am hopeful it will get better. I have a feeling though that he will always be slow. He always has been. During his 4 month stint in public school in Kinder., he was always that last one to line up.....always. We certainly need time management help here too. Alice, you are not alone.:group:

Oh, one more thought, this is your first born, right? Mine too. I think they tend to be perfectionist and very hard on themselves thus they take longer on their assignments because they are very meticulous. Mine is also very distractable.

:)

CINDY LB OH
10-27-2013, 09:21 PM
This was the boat I was in with my 10th grader, until we attended a study skills workshop together last month. It was awesome and totally changed his attitude and mine. We have put the teacher's suggestions unto practice and have seen much success in the last several weeks. I can hardly believe it, but my son has gotten all his assignments done by early afternoon each Friday.

I'd be happy to pass on the ideas we got.
:yes: Please.

Heather W
10-28-2013, 09:05 AM
:yes: Please.

Yes, please!

Kim in IN
10-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Yes Miranda..inquiring Moms of Highschoolers are really wanting to know. Please share!

Robin in Colorado
10-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Well, yes, please, Miranda.

Alice R
10-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm glad I am not alone! That is a big relief.

Nathaniel is a perfectionist. And naturally I think he is a slow mover (so is my husband). Nathaniel is a happy boy...just poking along in his own world.

He is not goofing on the computer either. I've been watching him trying to see what exactly is TAKING SO LONG!!! Nothing...that's just how he rolls.

He finishes work at night and on the weekend...he doesn't complain.

I jsut want him to GET MOVING!!!!

:roflol:

Maybe I shouldn't look at the clock. :lol:

Esther-Alabama
10-28-2013, 11:12 PM
My ninth grader started working today at 1:30pm (community service in the am).

By 9:30pm, he had finished 4 grammar pages
10 vocab words
One worksheet for the novel he is reading

He is not done.