PDA

View Full Version : LOF error question

Rebe
10-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Somewhere in a LOF book, I read that if you find an error, you're to contact him and he'll then send you a list of the errata in all the books. Is this right? Did I dream this?

My dd is pretty sure that she's found an error in Beginning Algebra. So I went to the book to find that note, and I can't find it. Although, I did borrow my friend's "old" copy of Algebra a while back (before he combined it into the new edition, which is the one we have) and maybe I saw it in there?

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Heather W
10-29-2013, 11:43 PM
:lol: Yup, pretty sure it's in the front of most of the books. Go ahead and email and see what happens!

Rebe
10-30-2013, 09:14 AM
I can't find this in my books. Does anyone have the older edition of the Algebra book(s) and could check it for me? :kiss:
I also checked the website and can't find it there.

I want my dd to do this on her own, and I wanted to give her the exact info that's in the book, or she's going to feel awkward about it.

Heather W
10-30-2013, 10:32 AM
If you happen to spot an error that the author, the publisher, and the printer missed, please let us know with an email to lifeofred(at)yahoo.com.

As a reward, we'll email back to you the list of all the corrections that readers have reported.

let us know what happens!

Rebe
10-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Heather!

I'm going to ask her to send the email today.

Rebe
11-01-2013, 05:17 PM
And the verdict is...

It wasn't an error. My dd just didn't understand the solution. :)

"Stan" was very gracious and prompt in his reply!

Heather W
11-02-2013, 01:03 PM
I figured, based on the language of his statement, that they were pretty confident in there being no errors. :lol:

But, hey good for her for trying!

Did he take the time to explain the answer? If so, that is also cool. Learning experience all around. :)

Linda
11-02-2013, 01:25 PM
I figured, based on the language of his statement, that they were pretty confident in there being no errors. :lol:

But, hey good for her for trying!

Did he take the time to explain the answer? If so, that is also cool. Learning experience all around. :)

:yes: Otherwise, they would have a copy of the corrections on their website! :lol:

Rebe
11-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Well, fortunately she didn't say, "I've found an error." She just said that she didn't understand how the answer could be what it was. So he explained it.

I know he's pretty confident of no errors (and he may be absolutely right that there are no errors!), but most math books do have them. (Which reminds me of the reason Nathaniel Bowditch wrote his navigation guide -- because the standard guide that everyone used was full of so many errors!) I've found errors in both of the math curricula that we've used, and I'm not even a math person.

I think Dr. Schmidt seems like a pretty cool person -- I think I'd like him IRL. :)

Heather W
11-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I think so too Rebe. He's very interesting for sure.

That was a very cool way for her word that...good for your daughter!

Angie W
11-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I always read that as errors being typo's - and I've found tons of them. The wording of it made me assume that he didn't really care about typo's, so I never bothered sending them in. ;)

Cool that your daughter emailed him and got a response about a problem!!