PDA

View Full Version : Really helpful book to parents of teens

Cindy in CA
11-05-2013, 12:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Yes-Your-Teen-Crazy-Without/dp/0936197447

A lot of us were reading this a few years back and found it extremely eye opening and helpful. I read it when Nick was 12 1/2 and realized I should read it again now that my baby is 12 1/2. Do not tell him I called him that!:eek::lol: Anyhow, I see a huge change in me (and therefore in my boys) just having picked it back up again and reading the first few chapters. I sure need the refresher in parenting teens so I wanted to share.

I got a copy from the library but wish I could highlight many parts.

Great tools for parenting the difficult teen years.

Grace and Peace,

:)

Joy in Alabama
11-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Thank you, Cindy! I'm going to see if my library has it!

Rebe
11-05-2013, 04:22 PM
You are right. I need to read this book again.

My 12yo is a more "typical" almost-teen than my first two were (i.e., more emotional, more sensitive, more ... dare I say, irrational? :eyes: ) I need a refresher. I remember this book as being very helpful and straight-talking. It was such a good introduction into how a teenager thinks.

Cindy in CA
11-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Yep, my 12 yo too! Oh my goodness, the moodiness. This parenting thing is sooooo hard at times! Today is one of those days with him. Who knows what tomorrow may bring! :eyes:

I think I will get myself a copy so I can highlight it and refer to it more often. Rereading after 3 years is making me realize I should have been picking up this book often all along. It truly feels like I am reading it for the first time in many ways. The main difference is I am not shocked by it and ready to fling it across the room like I was the first time I began it because I realize the incredible value it holds.

Thanks, Rebe, for saying I am right. :lol: That is music to my ears! I never hear such things in this house. :roflol:

What month does your 12 yo turn 13?

Rebe
11-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks, Rebe, for saying I am right. :lol: That is music to my ears! I never hear such things in this house. :roflol:

:lol: I never thought of it that way. How true.

My 12yo just turned 12 last month. But he's been moody and irrational for about 6 months now. He's always done everything earlier than his older siblings. That now includes puberty.

Rachel Jane
11-06-2013, 09:00 AM

My 12yo just turned 12 last month. But he's been moody and irrational for about 6 months now. He's always done everything earlier than his older siblings. That now includes puberty.
sorry.

Kendra AU
11-07-2013, 01:19 AM

I can't hear you.. I'm pretty sure that will be our 10 year old because early is his thing with EVERYTHING.
Our eldest who will be 13 in February is still incredibly laid back, but then he always has been. Terrible 2's lasted all of 5 minutes for him. And you all know because I've disclosed this he'll go over the edge moody now, right?!

Amy Joy
11-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Just ordered it from the library!

Cindy in CA
11-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Anyone else reading this? I'd love to hear what you think.

Amy Joy
11-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Just came in to the library today! My daughter (13, Aspergers) saw it and says "I thought I wasn't crazy. She (the psychiatrist) didn't give me the cray stamp." I almost burst out laughing, but couldn't because she was serious!

Rachel Jane
11-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Just came in to the library today! My daughter (13, Aspergers) saw it and says "I thought I wasn't crazy. She (the psychiatrist) didn't give me the cray stamp." I almost burst out laughing, but couldn't because she was serious!

:roflol:
love it!

Cindy in CA
11-24-2013, 11:05 AM
I bought my own copy. My son was going through a real battle with me over a class he was taking. This book helped me so much to understand what he is going through. Adolescents is such a hard time. I am using the skills learned in this book on a daily basis in communicating with my boys. It is beyond helpful. Seriously, I think I forgot everything I read when I read it 3 years ago. I am so glad I have my own copy now. There is more peace in my home, better and more communication and a bond between mother and sons that is priceless.