PDA

View Full Version : How to grade a project?

CINDY LB OH
11-13-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to give a grade for a project I'm having my 9th grader do.

Ds15 has dyslexia and dysgraphia, and processing issues. So for his Ancient Egypt study I am having him do a tri-fold poster board project. He will cover the gods and pharaohs, timeline maps, research some artefacts, and include the apple mummy experiment we put together on Tuesday. This is in lieu of a written test, so how do I grade it? What kind of parameters do I use? I want to make a sheet so he knows the expectations as he puts it together.

Ok, so how would you grade it? What things would you look for and expect?

Sunshine C
11-13-2013, 07:58 PM
My dc aren't this age yet, but this is similar to projects I would get my high school biology students to do when I taught high school. A few things I would look for would be content (Is the information correct? complete? - it wouldn't hurt to have a list of what you expect him to include), presentation (Is it visually appealing? Does it use colour well? Is it neat and readable?), research (has he quoted sources? Does he have a bibliography or some sort of list? I sometimes would specify the number of sources and of which kinds I expected - such as 3 different website, 3 different reference books, and if I wanted them listed a certain way, etc.), creativity (is it just a list of facts or is the information conveyed in a fun appealing way?) Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. Hth.

Miranda.in.WA
11-13-2013, 11:06 PM
I love Sunshine's recommendations. As far as assigning an actual grade, would it be easier if you set a certain number of points for each expectation?

Maybe something like:

The gods and pharoahs 25 points
Timeline 20 points
Maps 15 points
Research some artifacts 25 points
The apple mummy experiment we put together on Tuesday 10 points
Overall look/placement 5 points

And then decide under each 'area' what have you asked for in detail & which portion you will weigh more heavily.

Using a rubric of sorts makes applying a grade so easy. You can give him high credit for the areas he's done well in, and low credit in areas he needs to improve. Good thing is this is his first project and he will have many more to do and improve. Its not the product but the process :)

Let us know what you decide, I would love yo see pictures, it sounds interesting :)

Paige P
11-14-2013, 07:10 AM
This site issues are driving me crazy :crazy: I just typed out a long response, and then it disappeared (I'm having to copy every post I write, then "leave the page" and then paste it and post it -- it didn't give me the option to save it last time. UGH!!!!)

I think the ruberic idea is perfect :thumb: It sets up parameters for both of you.

I did a similar assignment last year with my 3 dc (not high schoolers, though, so slightly different). One thing I quickly learned is that they'd never done a tri-fold presentation before, so they weren't sure what it should look like with color and titles. They started off very bland, so I showed them online pictures of presentation boards so they could visually SEE what looked good and what visually revealed lack of maximum effort :)

Heather W
11-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Do you need to set point values for the project?

What Miranda described above is a great scoring tool, but rubrics are more general. If this were my son, I would grade it using a rubric that assesses whether or not he hit the target for each area, but not necessarily give him precise point values.

Example:

4- meets or exceeds expectations
3- meets expectations
2- needs improvement to meet expectations
1- did not meet expectations

Then you make a chart. Along the rows you put those rubric labels as I described above. Across the tops of the columns you put the project areas you mentioned: apple mummy, pharoahs, etc.

For each area you mark where on the scale he fell. Now that was just an example. I would include with the rubric what the expectations are that he must meet. So, how much information, how well thought out, how many graphics whatever you want. If you want lots of detail that doesn't fit every area, then you might choose to make a detailed rubric for each of the project areas.

Does that make sense? In a project like this, I would want to see that he includes everything he is supposed to and that it is high quality- whatever that means for his ability. You can then attribute a letter grade to the numbers (1-4).

Assessment was my thesis topic for my masters degree. Let me know if you have any questions!

CINDY LB OH
11-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your input and expertise! :thumb: This little "mini-seminar" has been very helpful. ;)