PDA

View Full Version : Choosing curriculum for High School after BFIAR

Tracy P
11-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Hello :hi:,

I am so in love with FIAR and BFIAR and am using this for my 6 and 9 year olds, however, i have a 13 year old and a soon to be 14 year old as well. i love the literature based unit study approach and am wondering how to continue with this approach through HS and count credits. I have looked at many curriculums out there. I am looking for a way to all be on the same topic as a family. Aside from math and LA, I really love living room style learning, read alouds and learning things together. Any suggestions for how to expand on BFIAR for HS? Anyone using this beyond age 12? What other curriculum have you found to be similar in style of FIAR for HS? Thank you for your valued input!

Heather W
11-17-2013, 08:15 PM
If you've finished all of Beyond FIAR, have you tried Above and Beyond FIAR? This is a literature unit on Hitty the First Hundred Years.

Other things we've done which have been enjoyable:

Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings
One Year Adventure Novel- write an adventure novel in a year, but along the way you learn much about story and read adventure together. This course has been invaluable in continuing to foster discussion between my teens and I as we learn.
Excellence in Literature- units based on classic literature over 5 years. We love it. My 8th grader is using this for her English as well as her history. She does a unit study on each time period and author as she reads the literature and does the papers. Her focus is on fashion of each era and she's currently doing the unit on Jules Verne and Around the World in 80 Days. She's drafting and using patterns for steam punk fashions.
WinterPromise- this is a curriculum which is like the bridge from FIAR to something more traditional. You get to immerse in one time period for the year and do projects and reading together.

Good luck finding something you enjoy!

Kendra AU
11-26-2013, 01:27 AM
How independent is your soon to be 14 year old? Could you provide that child with literature based learning & have them "report back" to you?

We use a few literature based things for our children who are beyond FIAR. I truly believe FIAR laid that foundation so that when my children were ready to move on they weren't afraid of bigger books that were just as meaty & fun to read. For our highschooler he'll be using Sonlight next year, but we've also used Winter Promise & I think it's a lovely curriculum. Both have read alouds, & regardless of who was doing what we still use those as family read alouds. It can be pretty wild when we have a few different ones going, but we manage to keep them all straight so it works for us. :) Of the two we're/are using I'd have to say WP has the more gentle FIAR style about it.

Nedra in California
11-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Take a look at My Father's World. LOVE it for high school. www.mfwbooks.com

Linda
11-29-2013, 04:50 PM
We've used (I guess are using since my kids are still in highschool ;) ), Ambleside Online (http://www.amblesideonline.org/) and my oldest has taken classes through Veritas Press Scholars Academy (http://www.veritaspress.com/)(online school). All very literature based, one is Charlotte Mason method, the other is Christian Classical, although, there is a ton of overlap w/i the two as far as books read and expectations. :)