PDA

View Full Version : World Cultures/Geography/history help? Reading lists please.Map resourses

Kim in IN
11-30-2013, 09:44 AM
HI ladies,

I am struggling here with what to do. Help!

I have a 9th grader who studied World history for a year in 7th grade using the one year condensed Sonlight program Core W. This was our first foray into Sonlight. Last year we studied the Eastern Hemishpere Core F with his 2 younger siblings. It was fun b/c we have a lot of personal ties to Asia and we were able to explore those. Sonlight can be a bit too much work so we mostly read the books (not all of them) and they worked on their notebooks that went with the unit. We didn't finish it ..but I am ok with that!

This year I have jumped all over the place:
-Tried Ancient History Beautiful feet- boring I expected the upgrade to have maps and much more but it didn't
-A free textbook from the public school (good but over 1000 pages!!!) Read then answer questions. Meh!

My son is an artist so I am thinking of switching to World Geography (maps) and cultures (maybe some history). Any suggestions? Literature Books to go along with this? I am not opposed to putting together my own program but it needs to be High school level. I need to hear from those that have gone out on a limb and made up their own programs.

7th-World history
8th-Eastern Hemisphere
9th-?
10th US history
11th Government/Economics

Thank you so much for any help /advice you can give.
Kim

Heather W
11-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Is that why I can't get into Beautiful Feet Ancient Studies...it's boring? :lol:

I'm out on the limb. My 10th grader is doing Ancient Studies this year. We are doing all the major world civilizations of ancient times. I have Mystery of History, BF, and other resources. At first I thought we'd go in the order of MOH, but decided against it- sort of. I also use All through the Ages for reading sources, etc. But, a lot of the books are not available. Which is frustrating.

So, we are doing 4-5 weeks on each civ. There is writing, reading, and the project. The Project was going to be several things, but has now morphed into a Geography/History Blog, It's called "Geography Crusades" (gee...that sounds a lot like my blog's Geography Quest, but I digress...). His grade is on the whole package- blog design, format, variety, content, detail, the works. This is to get a project going that encompasses lots of interests. I expect video, animations, interviews, writing, lots of stuff.

So, not sure I can help you with which topic to study, but I am on the limb. He's also studying Biblical Greek (second year and up to module 5) and Arabic.

Joy in Alabama
11-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Is that why I can't get into Beautiful Feet Ancient Studies...it's boring? :lol:

I'm out on the limb. My 10th grader is doing Ancient Studies this year. We are doing all the major world civilizations of ancient times. I have Mystery of History, BF, and other resources. At first I thought we'd go in the order of MOH, but decided against it- sort of. I also use All through the Ages for reading sources, etc. But, a lot of the books are not available. Which is frustrating.

So, we are doing 4-5 weeks on each civ. There is writing, reading, and the project. The Project was going to be several things, but has now morphed into a Geography/History Blog, It's called "Geography Crusades" (gee...that sounds a lot like my blog's Geography Quest, but I digress...). His grade is on the whole package- blog design, format, variety, content, detail, the works. This is to get a project going that encompasses lots of interests. I expect video, animations, interviews, writing, lots of stuff.

So, not sure I can help you with which topic to study, but I am on the limb. He's also studying Biblical Greek (second year and up to module 5) and Arabic.

Great project idea, Heather!! Could you just move next door to me and let me pick your brain every day? :D

Heather W
11-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Great project idea, Heather!! Could you just move next door to me and let me pick your brain every day? :D

:) Thanks Joy!

Steph
11-30-2013, 09:26 PM
How about looking into Heart of Dakota's new highschool program? It is World Geography and they use one book called Mapping the World by Art that maybe your artistic son would like. Their notebook pages look artistic too. Everything is scheduled for you but it looks to be more managable than Sonlight to me. The literature looks pretty good too.

I have not used it but I'm looking at it for my second son for next year. I don't particularly like the boxes used in their guides but I like the Charlotte Mason feel.

Kim in IN
11-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Heather, I love your plan. I don"t know anything about setting up a blog but that is a great idea.
Joy, if Heather moves next door to you I am coming too! Having the 2 of you for neighbors would be sheer heaven!:)

Steph, The Heart of Dakota program that you mentioned just might be the ticket. I am going to do a bit more looking at it and praying about it and I will let you know what I decide. Thanks for mentioning it...it really sounds a lot like what I was looking for.

Kendra AU
12-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Are you after just an ancients curriculum?! Winter Promise has one that includes hands on stuff. It's not cultures, all though they have one, but you'd probably have to beef it a little in order to make it highschool worthy. All though there is an older learners guide which does have a lot more included on it.

SL Is coming out with another World History Core {500 or 5 something or other} but it's not due out until next year or something like that. So if you don't need it until then perhaps you can wait it out? Ha, I don't think most people finished the Core F notebooking, mostly because of the spine required to use it. ;) We used different notebooking to go with that core. If you switched your plans around you could bump what you plan to do next year to this year & then you might be able to wait it out? Just a thought as you seem to have bounced around unhappily since finishing Core F..