View Full Version : College style high school learning

Julie in AZ
12-04-2013, 07:31 AM
For the beginning of my ds' freshman year of high school this year, I really piled on the work. I spent 3 months working with him side by side teaching him study skills, showing him how to study for classes not taught by me (such as online Spanish), and letting him work late to complete all the assignments. He has done well but neither of us enjoy the amount of work each day.

I've been thinking about college and remembering how I structured my time. First of all, I think I usually took about 4 classes a semester. If I had a test in specific class, I would spend a couple of days mostly on that subject studying. Of course, with math and homework based classes I completed the work daily, but in all my other classes I studied in chunks.

So, I'm switching gears and trying this format with my ds for awhile to see how it works for him. I'd like to teach him how to manage his time without a daily requirement. This week he has a Spanish test on Wednesday so after completing math each day, he is alternating studying for his Spanish test, with several other subjects. He isn't doing any Biology or writing though. On Thursday and Friday, those two subjects will become his main focus while the others receive less time. I'm sure many high school students naturally figure this out for themselves, but that didn't happen here. :lol:

I was wondering if anyone else uses this approach. If so, how does is work in your home?

Julie Y
12-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Sounds like a good plan; be sure to let us know how it goes!

Cheryl from NY
12-10-2013, 02:57 PM
My kids prefer to work on two or three courses at a time. It is less for me to keep on top of, and they get through the course material much faster and more successfully if they only have a couple things to focus on.

Editing to say, I found it necessary to move away from doing a full 5 or 6 subjects broken down into daily, year long, lessons. With the ages of my kids, that becomes questions to answer or corrections to help with in potentially 20-24 different books. It made my head spin. :) All this to say, the flexibility homeschool offers is wonderful! I think your idea sounds great!

Joy in Alabama
12-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I usually let Carrie decide which subjects she wants to do for the week. She tends to put a lot of time in a couple of subjects (right now it's geometry and science), finish them and move to a couple more. The only subjects she does with me are literature and art history so I put those on her planbook for once a week, but sometimes we skip because she's concentrating on the other two subjects. She also likes to study one subject, maybe two per day for 5 hours at a time. And she works at night or on Saturday or however her time works out for the week. She's very good at managing her time and she doesn't like trying to focus on 6 different subjects in a day.

I've also let the kids do a block system, where there are only a couple of subjects in one semester, we finish them completely, and do 2 more the next semester. This works well for kids who work faster (Carrie tends to take longer on a subject than just a semester, even though she works steadily).

Thomas, on the other hand, needs me to tell him what to do next at this point. He's only 14, though, so hopefully he'll take charge of his schedule as he gets older.

Julie in AZ
12-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks Cheryl and Joy, I feel like I am on the right track.

Cindy in CA
12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi Julie!!:hi:

Nick is in 10th grade this year and taking two classes. He is taking World Literature with our wonderful IEW teacher and Biology with a sweet home school mom. He tends to work best on his own without me meddling in. What he is doing that seems to work for him is focus on the stuff he needs for the class because there is a complete and total deadline. ( each class meets once a week). After he feels like he has enough done for that class he does his other stuff. Somedays he doesn't get to all his subjects and some days he does. Most days he probably does 4 or 5 out of 6 (counting PE) It seems to be working for him. Having classes has really helped him take responsibility for getting it done. The load is a lot and he is getting behind on math and history and told me to "make" him do those during the break to catch up. High School is so hard. I don't think he has too much work but he just has a hard time getting it done. Everything distracts him. Once he settles in and can focus he accomplishes a lot but that takes time. He does a lot of work after Ben and I go to bed and prefers that when the house it quiet.

I miss the FIAR days. They were so simple and fun!

This is probably too late and not very helpful, just thought I would share. :)

Julie in AZ
12-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks, Cindy. It's very helpful to see how homeschool high school works in other homes. :)

laurie in ok
12-29-2013, 11:13 AM
This is how my daughter spreads out her time. She doesn't do every subject every day - except math.