PDA

View Full Version : what so you do

Amy Joy
12-10-2013, 07:49 PM
when your ds11 is out scoring his sister that is 2 years older than him? Well, really only 19 months, but 2 grades ahead. This is the first time that they have done all their subjects together (except math), but she has finally accepted that he is just naturally intellectual. They are both doing BJU Grade 7 World Cultures and Grammar and Writing 7 from BJU. He is breezing through these book with NO problems. She, on the other hand, just scored 8/25 on a a review in Grammar/Writing. Science is apologia elementary, this is no problem as she does the assignments well. She is revisiting basic math in both MUS and LoF. He is just finishing Fractions LoF. (It's our first year using LoF and they are loving it!)
I don't mind him breezing through. He can just keep working and be ahead. However, I'm worried about her going into Grade 9 next year. I could have her "repeat" grade 8 next year. The issue is in grade 10 she really wants to go to the Lutheran School we have in our town. It's a small school grades 10-12 only. It's a boarding school though town kids don't board. She reads silently really well. She struggles with Math, Grammar & Spelling, and writing anything that isn't her own fictional story. Her own stories she can write and has great ideas, but you have to be able to see beyond the spelling and grammar to find the story.
Have you had kids "repeat" a year so that they can get a bit more grounded in the basics before it "counts"? If she wants a diploma where we live she must either go to public/private school or do correspondence through the public school for grades 10-12. Not much for options. She does not have any official learning disabilities, but she does have Social Anxiety Disorder and Aspergers.
Any ideas?

Shelly L
12-11-2013, 12:30 AM
No suggestions for you, sorry.... Just a couple of these: :group: :group:

Miranda.in.WA
12-11-2013, 01:30 AM
"Have you had kids "repeat" a year so that they can get a bit more grounded in the basics before it "counts"?"

Yes. My ds16 (10th grade this year) has done 2 years with apologia general science, and two years with Teaching Textbooks Alg 1.

For his transcript, I only plan to list these courses once.

I think my Homeschool approach is more of a mastery type, rather than a pass/fail. If we don't get it the first time around, we try again. Sometimes with the same curriculum, sometimes with a different.

Joy in Alabama
12-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Yes. Yes. Yes. Lots of repeats here, always math. And I kept Thomas in 6th grade for 2 years so he could mature and work on English skills. He's doing so well now, I've let him skip up from 7th to 9th grade in all subjects except math, but he's only behind one semester in that. :thumb: I've let several children skip 8th grade, too.