PDA

View Full Version : High School Current Events?

CINDY LB OH
12-27-2013, 07:53 PM
I never had a current events class in high school so.....

What would you include in a current events course??
Would you make a full credit, or just a half credit?
What types of things would you have the student do?
How would you grade it?

Kelly K
12-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I would start with cnn student news. It's a 10 min week day internet broadcast that is surprisingly unbiased.

Steph
12-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Caleb will be using WORLD magazine for his Comtemporary Issues class. It's a semester class worth half a credit. He will:
-Read a news story from WORLD and find another article online that takes the opposing viewpoint. OR
-Read a news story from WORLD that he has a strong opinion about.
-Write a one page paper discussing the opposing viewpoints or why he feels strongly about a topic.
-We already discuss current events but we will expect him to lead some discussions based on something he has read/heard.

My goal with this class is to help Caleb analyze the news stories he sees/hears/reads. To think about the source and be able to come to his own conclusions.

Rebe
12-28-2013, 11:07 AM
My oldest will be doing this, as well. Not quite Current Events, but pretty close (I think I'm calling it Contemporary Global Issues). I bought the book The World Today from Rainbow. It's pretty current. It's a global study, sort of like newspaper-article style, of what's been happening all over the world.

He reads WORLD magazine.

He reads the newspaper every day. I much prefer this to online "newspapers," and so does he (at least he does for now). It's more in-depth and not nearly as distracting.

I like Steph's evaluation methods -- good ideas! I will have my ds answering questions from The World Today. I can't remember exactly how I set it up. I planned the class last summer so it's a distant memory. :lol: I need to go look at it again.

CINDY LB OH
12-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks for your suggestions!

I just found this resource as well.... Freshman Course Current Events (http://freshmancourse.wikispaces.com/Current+Events).
It has a list of "response options" as well as a grading rubric.

Kelly K
01-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Wow, Cindy! That's a great resource! Thanks for posting it.

Miranda.in.WA
01-01-2014, 10:37 PM
That is a super site! I have the 'rules' or recommendations for current events for Abeka high school (as part of their history courses) and for Sonlight highschool courses. I can pull those out and type up what they say if it would be helpful.