PDA

View Full Version : Notgrass Government/Economics

Joy in Alabama
12-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Pros? Cons?

TIA :hi:

Gail in NY
12-30-2013, 09:16 PM
I was going to use this in my scope and sequence for high school. I am using American History this year with both my 9th and 11th graders and their mutual response to Notgrass is, "I hate it! It is as dry as cracker juice!!" Sigh.....I think the content is good, and from a Christian perspective, but after a lifetime of FIAR and Sonlight....they are not impressed, sooo.....back the drawing board. We are doing the Uncle Eric books for economics, but I am still at a loss as to a Government course. Watching this with interest....

Ginger Lynn
12-30-2013, 09:28 PM
We used Notgrass Amercian History last year too. And when I stared looking at what we were going to use this year for Economics and Gov. my son begged me not to use Notgrass! He really likes what we are using for both. He looks forward to them.

Steph
12-30-2013, 09:37 PM
My ds used Notgrass for Gov't and BJU for Economics. He and I have differing views on these two curriculums. I like Notgrass better and he likes BJU better.

Notgrass Pros for ME:
Easy to grade
Very well organized. One lesson a day.
Loved the book with historical speeches, etc.
I liked the writing style.
Really good Activity Ideas/Writing assignments.

No cons for me

Pros for Caleb
He liked reading the historical documents/speeches

Cons for Caleb
He wanted more info. than Notgrass provided
He felt like the writing style was somewhat elementary

Overall, my oldest really likes these two subjects and wanted lots of info. which BJU provided better. My second ds doesn't care for either of these subjects and I think he will really like Notgrass Gov't/Econ.

It was pretty much the same story with Notgrass World History. Oldest ds didn't like it, second ds likes it.

Hope that helps

Gail in NY
12-31-2013, 04:34 AM
We used Notgrass Amercian History last year too. And when I stared looking at what we were going to use this year for Economics and Gov. my son begged me not to use Notgrass! He really likes what we are using for both. He looks forward to them.

what are you using now if not Notgrass?

Joy in Alabama
12-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Hmmm.... well I usually use a Clarence Carson book for government which is really, really good. But my get-it-over-with dd (and the son coming up) does not like all the detail. I have also used his books, along with others, for American history because of the amount of detail, and they call him Cottonmouth Carson, but, oh, well, :whistle: I want them to KNOW American history and when they are finished with his books, they do! I think she would probably be like your second son and will like Notgrass. I looked at the sample online and it looks pretty interesting.

Rebe
12-31-2013, 11:55 AM
My ds liked Notgrass. He used it for World and Amer History, plus Government. But I agree with others that it's not very in-depth. We also had to write our own tests for World History because the tests they provide for that course are not good (they're just questions taken directly from the weekly quizzes). But my ds read a lot of extra stuff in history on his own, so the curriculum was fine for us.

Ds used Uncle Eric books for Econ (and Justice, Politics, etc.). He loves them. He doesn't agree with everything, but we've always talked about the pros and cons of any author's point of view (whether Notgrass or Uncle Eric, and they both have very strong viewpoints). I felt that Notgrass was a good foundation for the Uncle Eric books.