PDA

View Full Version : Keyboarding Class

Hollie in SC
01-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Eli needs a Computer Science credit--half can be keyboarding. I was hoping we could knock out that half credit this spring. Can you share what you've done for that class (requirements/class description) and how you counted the grades? Thanks!

Laura JL
01-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Hollie - for SCAIHS we used Typing Instructor Platinum but counted time spent typing papers, fb time, etc. for 70 hours and then gave credit for 1/2 credit keyboarding. Typing Instructor Platinum keeps track of time, wpm and accuracy - I just wanted to see improvement.

Then we did another 1/2-1 credit for applications by doing Professor Teaches series and added in time spent using the various Microsoft Office apps, e-mailing, and for Kara she also did Quickbooks and 1099 software which added the additional 1/2 credit.

Hollie in SC
01-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Hollie - for SCAIHS we used Typing Instructor Platinum but counted time spent typing papers, fb time, etc. for 70 hours and then gave credit for 1/2 credit keyboarding. Typing Instructor Platinum keeps track of time, wpm and accuracy - I just wanted to see improvement.

Then we did another 1/2-1 credit for applications by doing Professor Teaches series and added in time spent using the various Microsoft Office apps, e-mailing, and for Kara she also did Quickbooks and 1099 software which added the additional 1/2 credit.

Thanks so much, Laura. (Miss you, girl! Looking forward to seeing you on MOnday!)

How did you give the grade for the classes?

Laura JL
01-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Looking forward to seeing everyone Monday too! Brian has been sick the whole break so I'm hoping we don't bring anything home from Co-op w/ us :) His immune system is just so fragile the sniffles for anyone else is pneumonia for him .

I did the keyboarding and computer applications more on time spent and effort. However, the programs keep "score" so I looked at improvement from when they began to their ending score. I can't recall (it's that old age thing) how SCAIHS told me to convert their improvement. But, both kids rec'd 100's. Essentially if I recall the conversation it was that there should be improvement in typing skills and skills w/ working w/ the various programs (Word, Excel, e-mail, etc) and they should be able to explain to me how to utilize the program coherently along w/ showing a product from each program that was correctly done. Not real technical - but really I think the colleges just want to see that the kid knows how to utilize a computer. A silly thing I think nowadays but still something that at least SC schools are still looking for. I think I required 45 WPM w/ no more than 3 errors. I found this for WPM but it has to be converted to the SC grading scale bec it's done on a 10 point scale:Timed Writings Grading Scale (speed average and accuracy average)
Speed Grade on Three-Minute Writings Accuracy* Overall Grade**
40+ = 100 33 = 85 0 - 100 90 - 100 = A
39 = 98 32 = 80 1 - 96 80 - 89 = B
38 = 96 31 = 75 2 - 93 70 - 79 = C
37 = 94 30 = 70 3 - 90 60 - 69 = D
36 = 92 29 = 65 4 - 85
35 = 90 2 8 = 60 5 - 75
34 = 88 6 - 70
*No timing is acceptable with more than six errors.
**Accuracy will count 1/2 and speed 1/2 of the overall timed writing average.

Hollie in SC
01-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Laura! :kiss: That gives me a starting place. :thumb:

(I knew Brian was sick earlier and am sorry he is still struggling.)