PDA

View Full Version : Life of Fred Language Arts

Laura JL
01-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Hey LOF users -- did you know there is a new high school LA LOF program?!?! Just found it this morning and I'm excited :clap:

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/11catofLG.html

Miranda.in.WA
01-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Now this could possibly be an English I could get into!! :) thanks for sharing :)

Shelly L
01-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Interesting!!

Rachel Jane
01-14-2014, 01:18 PM
buying.

Yes one is in college and one is a senior in high school, but they love LOF and have asked for all of them as gifts up to this point. Even if they just read them, some of it will stick. :)

Rebe
01-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Looks very practical and hands-on! :thumb:

But what literature and writing (essays) are covered? I'm not seeing that (I just skimmed the topics, though). :unsure:

Heather W
01-14-2014, 02:17 PM
I knew it was on the way. Looking forward to seeing it!

- - - Updated - - -

buying.

Yes one is in college and one is a senior in high school, but they love LOF and have asked for all of them as gifts up to this point. Even if they just read them, some of it will stick. :)

These are for high school. LOVE. I'll be buying as well.

Joy in Alabama
01-14-2014, 05:04 PM
Hey! Thomas might want to use these! :thumb: Thanks, Laura!!

WendyW
01-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Cool! My ds immediately said "Buy it, I hate what I'm using." At only $19 I'll definitely buy the first one to get a good look at it.

CINDY LB OH
01-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Interesting!! I wonder what the assignments are like??

Laura F
01-15-2014, 09:09 PM
We haven't used LOF for math, so I'm thoroughly confused by the descriptions of the language arts books. Is this English as in grammar and writing? I'm not seeing literature...

ETA: I downloaded the sample for Australia and laughed my way through the pages. I'm still confused. What does one do with this book?! I'm putting it on my wish list for next year because I think I want to read the rest of it.

Rebe
01-15-2014, 09:34 PM
We haven't used LOF for math, so I'm thoroughly confused by the descriptions of the language arts books. Is this English as in grammar and writing? I'm not seeing literature...

ETA: I downloaded the sample for Australia and laughed my way through the pages. I'm still confused. What does one do with this book?! I'm putting it on my wish list for next year because I think I want to read the rest of it.

Can you provide a link to the download?

My dd uses LOF math, so I'm familiar with his quirky style. These LA books look like mostly grammar and usage to me -- lots and lots of usage. Which is great. But I don't see any essay instruction or literature. I'm not sure he's qualified to write a book on essay writing and literature, though. I'd like to see the download. My dd would probably love them as a supplement to her English, because she loves LOF math and his stories.

Laura, I could probably read every volume of LOF math cover to cover just for the story. Very fun. My dd is pretty mathy so she actually learns math from it, but I can't guarantee that that would happen for me. ;) Unless I tried really hard. But that would spoil all the fun for me. :lol:

Laura JL
01-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Here's a link to the samples:

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/31samplepages%20LG.html

We use a combination of things for high school English credit so I'm thinking we'd just add this to it for fun! I've ordered the first volume to try it out.

WendyW
01-16-2014, 12:02 AM
Did anyone see anything that said how long each book takes? I looked but didn't see it anywhere.

Laura JL
01-16-2014, 12:09 PM
http://lifeoffredmath.com/lof-hslangarts.php this has info on the length of time for the books.

Rebe
01-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Here's a link to the samples:

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/31samplepages%20LG.html

We use a combination of things for high school English credit so I'm thinking we'd just add this to it for fun! I've ordered the first volume to try it out.

Thanks, Laura! Yes, adding it to an existing English program seems like what it's intended for (I hope). Looks like fun! :yes:

WendyW
01-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Laura!

For everyone's info each book "contains 19 lessons and is designed to take approximately one month to complete."

I'm already planning a trip to our local homeschool store tonight or tomorrow. I hope they have these in stock. I know they carry LOF math.

Joy in Alabama
01-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Even though it says it's for 8th grade, I think my 6th grader could easily do it. It looks like fun! Thanks, Laura! I think I'll put it on my list for next year. And who can beat the price?? :thumb:

KayH
01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Oh, boy! My 8th grader will love these! He already likes LOF Math! :)

Rachel
01-23-2014, 10:36 PM
I just looked at the table of contents for the first book and it looks like my 6 graders could do this. I'm debating getting this now as a supplement, for fun. I know my dd is enjoying LOF math.

Cheryl in CA
01-28-2014, 02:03 PM
We love LOF and bought them to use for fun. My dd10 is going through them now. I think labeling them for high school is a mistake and consider them more "middle school." I'm not at all sorry I bought them, just glad I bought them with my 10 year old in mind and not my high school student! He read through them for fun because he too loves all things Fred ;) but there is no way I would count them for his English 12 course.

WendyW
01-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Since they are supposed to take about 1 month each, there's no way they'd count as a full credit, and high school "English" usually encompasses a lot more than just grammar. As the grammar component of a complete LA course, most of which should be review by HS, I think they'd be fun.

Miranda.in.WA
01-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Warning...long run on sentence below:

So, for those that have looked at these, is my understanding correct that the intent (or possible way of usung these) would be to have these 4 books done, once each quarter, repeating each series, each year of high school, as a supplement to their existing English curriculum?

And as I reread that paragraph... I wonder how many grammatical errors there are ;)

If you have book 1 and have read it, is it engaging enough to have my high schooler repeat it once each year?

Cheryl in CA
01-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Since they are supposed to take about 1 month each, there's no way they'd count as a full credit, and high school "English" usually encompasses a lot more than just grammar. As the grammar component of a complete LA course, most of which should be review by HS, I think they'd be fun.

I should have been more specific, sorry for the confusion! My son's English 12 course does indeed include more than just Grammar. I meant that I would not consider it to be enough for the Grammar portion of his English 12 course.

Cheryl in CA
01-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Warning...long run on sentence below:

So, for those that have looked at these, is my understanding correct that the intent (or possible way of usung these) would be to have these 4 books done, once each quarter, repeating each series, each year of high school, as a supplement to their existing English curriculum?

And as I reread that paragraph... I wonder how many grammatical errors there are ;)

If you have book 1 and have read it, is it engaging enough to have my high schooler repeat it once each year?

The impression I got from the link posted was that it would be good to do all four of them in one year once during high school. I could be wrong but I don't think that website is connected to Life of Fred so that's their opinion, and not Stan's (he sells through Z-Twist books and at the bottom of that website it lists them as JOY Center of Learning, Box 788, Shelburne, ON L9V 3M1 - is that Canada?). I think it would be fine to use in high school for review and fun but wouldn't consider it enough to count for the grammar part of my son's English course.

Rachel
02-02-2014, 06:14 PM
So for those that have actually seen these books, do you think they would work for a middle school student? Thinking 6th or 7th grader?

Heather W
02-02-2014, 06:23 PM
I haven't read enough of the first one yet to make a judgment. I will say it reads similarly to his math books and I think it would make a great review and resource for grammar.

If you are a person who is very methodical about your grammar, then maybe this isn't for you. However, if you like to help your kids edit their own work and introduce grammar as you coach their writing, then this will be a fun read to bring home some important skills.

WendyW
02-02-2014, 06:58 PM
So for those that have actually seen these books, do you think they would work for a middle school student? Thinking 6th or 7th grader?

The author says high school, and this is in the front of the book sample : For maximum happiness, let’s not begin this book too early.

Cheryl in CA
02-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I haven't read enough of the first one yet to make a judgment. I will say it reads similarly to his math books and I think it would make a great review and resource for grammar.

If you are a person who is very methodical about your grammar, then maybe this isn't for you. However, if you like to help your kids edit their own work and introduce grammar as you coach their writing, then this will be a fun read to bring home some important skills.

I agree with Heather. I also haven't read it thoroughly enough yet to decide if I would recommend using it by itself.

If it might be helpful to you, I will add that my 10 year old dd has read through the first book, is a good way through the 2nd, and having no difficulty (or challenge) at all. The only grammar she has had so far is MCTLA's Grammar Island.

ETA that my dd has read through the first two books and is about 1/4 of the way through the third. She loves Fred :)

Rachel
02-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Well I just placed my order of Life of Fred intermediate through Rainbow Resource. I will wait for a little while on the Language Arts books. That helps our pocket books anyways. I thought about buying the intermediate books and the language arts books through the Life of Fred website as I can't find them on the RR site. But I will wait for awhile. I can't wait to hear more reviews!

Heather W
02-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Well I just placed my order of Life of Fred intermediate through Rainbow Resource. I will wait for a little while on the Language Arts books. That helps our pocket books anyways. I thought about buying the intermediate books and the language arts books through the Life of Fred website as I can't find them on the RR site. But I will wait for awhile. I can't wait to hear more reviews!

I always order from Stan on www.polkadotpublishing.com because he always has free shipping. That website will lead you to order through Z-Twist books. Free shipping always on media mail so I order them any time I want without worrying about making the minimum on shipping.

Cheryl in CA
02-02-2014, 10:14 PM
I always order from Stan on www.polkadotpublishing.com because he always has free shipping. That website will lead you to order through Z-Twist books. Free shipping always on media mail so I order them any time I want without worrying about making the minimum on shipping.

Me too :) I also like to order from publishers directly if I can because they make more money.