PDA

View Full Version : ACT question

Steph
01-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Caleb will graduate May 3 this year. He would like to take the ACT one more time to see if he can improve his score by just a couple points. Can I count his score after he graduates though? I'm not sure if it makes a difference but he will be going to comm. college for 2 years and taking some CLEP's, then transferring to 4 year college.

Leslie Nelsen
01-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Does he need the ACT for community college? If not, I'm not sure he would need to take it again. Perhaps call the college he is thinking of transferring to and ask. I thought if you spent 2 years at CC that a 4 year college would just look at that and not the ACT/SAT. I could be wrong though.

WendyW
01-27-2014, 04:55 PM
In Mn, all state colleges, including CC's, use the ACT scores for math and verbal as indicators for additional testing to see if remedial help is needed in those areas. If your state does the same, you may want to get those scores up to the minimum. If that's not an issue, than I don't think raising the scores would matter. If he plans to move on to a highly competitive university, it might matter, but as a transfer student I don't think it will.

CINDY LB OH
01-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Yes. You can use the score he receives after he graduates. Community colleges here also like to see an ACT score for placement purposes. So if he can raise his scores then he could very well benefit him.

Steph
01-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I just set up a meeting with an advisor at the comm. college. We can get registered then too.