PDA

View Full Version : "rowing" a book without actually reading it?

Audrey T
02-03-2014, 06:00 PM
I have a confession to make. Please don't chase me out of here or anything but... We really, really don't like PING. :(

I wanted to love it. I downloaded the unit from the website and read through all the activities months ago and I was really excited about it. That's what convinced me to try FIAR in the first place. But I never read the book until today when we started our unit on China.

Dd who has loved every other book we've rowed so far, was very upset at the end of our reading today and very clearly told me "Mama, don't ever read me this book again!" I was upset too and I don't want to read it again either.

But I don't want us to miss out on all those wonderful lessons. So do any of you ever only read the book once and still do the lessons the rest of the week? Any tips on making this work?

I hope I haven't bothered anyone with this post. I know most of you love PING and honestly I can see why. It's just not appropriate for me or my children.

Sheri
02-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Honest to goodness not all books are going to be a good fit.
You read it once, now you can go on the with the lessons and you'll be just fine!
I am absolutely positive there are books we only read through once.

CassieB
02-03-2014, 09:56 PM
I'm sure there is a book or two that we did not read 5x. I usually insisted on at least 3x but sometimes it was pulling teeth but I'm sure there is one or two books that we read only 2x in it's entirety. The first impression of anything; a book, food, person, etc. can be negative or not pleasant but if you give it another chance maybe that impression can be changed, improved, or confirmed but at least you gave it another chance to find out for sure. One thing that helped is we talked about why they didn't like the book and what could we do to change it. My DD's biggest things is "IT"S BOOOOORINGGGGGGG!" So one day we won't read the story but make up our own using the illustrations as guidance.

I'm sure that going on and doing the lessons without reading will still benefit your LO greatly.

Rebe
02-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Over the years here, there have been a couple of other moms whose dc didn't like Ping, or else they felt that it wasn't a good fit for their family. So don't feel like you're the only one. :) I personally love Ping, but I have to confess there is one particular, well-loved book that I don't really enjoy rowing. (The Rag Coat -- shhhh, don't tell anyone.) There is something about it that I don't care for, so I tend to read it less and concentrate on the lessons.

Once in a while this may happen. Or maybe never. But do what you need to do -- and you're right -- the lessons in Ping are way too good to skip! Have fun with that! I hope you can still do the art lessons, too. They don't require reading, only looking. We loved those.

ShayChristie
02-03-2014, 11:15 PM
There have been a couple of books that didn't click here. We read it once, then focus on the lessons. I sometimes bring the book out and read a particular section or look at particular illustrations to highlight the lesson, but that's it for those few books. :)

Do what works for your family! That is the beauty of homeschooling! :thumb:

Audrey T
02-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Thank you ladies. :)
Rebe, we did an art lesson this morning. She loved it.

Paige P
02-04-2014, 01:04 PM
One thing I try to do is supplement with "go-alongs." Do you have any books/picture books about China? Any other stories about china? Any other books about ducks? Just get on the computer and google pictures of China or the Great Wall or the Yangzee River ...... Definitely, definitely keep going the lessons :D

Carrie Bozeman
02-04-2014, 01:18 PM
The first impression of anything; a book, food, person, etc. can be negative or not pleasant but if you give it another chance maybe that impression can be changed, improved, or confirmed but at least you gave it another chance to find out for sure. One thing that helped is we talked about why they didn't like the book and what could we do to change it.

I love this! It's so true. I think there's a great lesson here in giving people and things a second chance and in doing something even if you don't love it. There have been a couple books that we haven't read all 5 days but I think it's important to learn that there will be things we have to do even if we don't enjoy them. This is a lesson that kids learn quickly in school but can be sometimes be missed in homeschooling. Sometimes it's easier to focus on things our kids enjoy and not fight the battles over teaching them things they don't enjoy (especially when they're young).

Obviously it's fine to do whatever you're comfortable with and reading the book once and then covering the lessons is better than skipping it altogether. Maybe after enjoying the lessons for a day or two you could bring the book back out and have your daughter look for the broken circles around ping when he's in the water. Or have her listen specifically for certain vocabulary words that you've discussed before reading. Look for things that are floating on the water...after discussing the science lesson on buoyancy! Give her things to focus on and look for while you're reading to her.

Also, discussing why she didn't like the book is a great idea! It might open up a learning opportunity in and of itself. I'm glad she enjoyed the art lessons, those are some of our FIAR favorites too!

Audrey T
02-04-2014, 06:16 PM
I really appreciate y'all sharing all these wonderful thoughts and ideas with me. It helps a lot. I'm just a little emotional these days and I think I was suprised by how much it upset me and my dd. Especially since we had been looking forward to it. But all is not lost. We're still having a good week.

Paige, yes we do have lots of go alongs for China and we're thouroughly enjoying them.

I'm sure there is a book or two that we did not read 5x. I usually insisted on at least 3x but sometimes it was pulling teeth but I'm sure there is one or two books that we read only 2x in it's entirety. The first impression of anything; a book, food, person, etc. can be negative or not pleasant but if you give it another chance maybe that impression can be changed, improved, or confirmed but at least you gave it another chance to find out for sure. One thing that helped is we talked about why they didn't like the book and what could we do to change it. My DD's biggest things is "IT"S BOOOOORINGGGGGGG!" So one day we won't read the story but make up our own using the illustrations as guidance.
I agree with you about first impressions. I usually do try to encourage my kids to give things they think they don't like a second chance. But in this case I'm not going to push it.
I LOVE your idea to rewrite the story using the illustrations. We may try that tomorrow. :)

Carrie, thanks for all the specific suggestions. And we will be having lots of discussion about why we were bothered by the book. I agree there is a lot of opportunity for learning there.

Jodi B
02-04-2014, 08:32 PM
There were a few books that didn't click with my kids too, so we read it a couple of times and then focused on the activities. On the other hand, there were many books that my kids couldn't get enough of, and if they had their way, we would have rowed them for weeks. :beatingheart: