PDA

View Full Version : Does FIAR have enough science?

Kristina
05-30-2007, 08:04 AM
There was an thread about whether or not FIAR has enough art. I had been wondering if it has enough science. Can anyone share their thoughts about this? My 5 year old daughter (first born) seems to have a particular interest in science. She won best of show in our homeschool science fair last year...as a preschooler. :surprise:

Thank you for any responses.
Warmly,
Kristina

Tamara D
05-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I think FIAR has a feast of planned science for the early elementary years. I also think most dc are naturally interested in science since it covers almost all of the world around them. Stopping them from studying science is almost impossible! So we gets lots of library books on whatever topics they're interested in and they/we read and learn a lot in addition to FIAR. I think introducing more formal science studies at these young ages takes the fun and wonder and joy out of their natural love for learning about God's creation.

Amee
05-30-2007, 10:48 PM
My son is really into science and seems to be advanced in that area. He is interested in just about any science topic he comes across and he is constantly telling me things I didn't know. (I'm not saying any of this to brag, but just so you'll know what his needs are and how FIAR has met them.) We have never added any science curriculum to FIAR, and we have found it to be more than enough. For each topic we cover in FIAR, I just check out extra library books--some we read together, and some I just leave lying around so he can read them if he's interested. We cover each topic in as much depth as he is interested and can understand. I have a couple of books of science experiments, and sometimes I will pick one that goes with our FIAR topic. We also do nature notebooks, which could be considered science, art, and P.E. (walking).

Rather than saying FIAR isn't enough for a child who is advanced in science (or any other subject), I would say it's perfect because it's so flexible. Instead of learning only what first graders are "supposed" to learn, we are learning as much as we want to.

After our first year of FIAR (preschool age), even though we loved it, I wondered if we had really covered enough. It's hard to tell sometimes since you skip around (new topics every week). I looked over a scope and sequence and found that we had covered everything for preschool, a lot of kindergarten topics, and some first grade stuff as well. So I haven't really worried about it since then. :)

Kendra AU
05-31-2007, 08:59 AM
My, now six year old, is an avid science person. So to go as a go-along with the science subjects picked in FIAR I picked up some preschool/kindergarten level science books from a company called "The Mailbox". Every subject covered in FIAR has at least one set of science experiments in the books. It's been great to see which topic we'll cover this week in the manual and then to get the experiment book of the shelf and know what we'll be doing in that end too.

I would also say, that it certainly covers the questions my boys ask about the particular topics from the books. My six year old asks more questions in a day then I feel I can answer in a lifetime. So anything that helps answer them to his satisfaction is given the thumbs up from me.

Kendra

DD in IL
05-31-2007, 09:26 AM
I supplement with materials from The Mailbox and Teacher's Helper too. DGS considers these "fun" probably because they aren't coming out of a workbook per se.

annmarieseiler
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
We unschool science, totally child led. So FIAR does not fit into that for our science. That is not to say that we don't do the science but we don't ONLY use it. DS1 likes to spend a long time on a single subject and study it TO DEATH, LOL. We do the same with History. If he is interested in something that is covered in a FIAR title then I will row that title while we study that subject. But lately he has been interested in things that would never be covered in FIAR titles.

Kristina
05-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Kendra,
Could you tell me the title of the book that you purchased by Mailbox? That sounds like something I'd like to have.

Thaks for all of the responses. I'm so glad we chose FIAR!
Kristina

katied
05-31-2007, 12:00 PM
I really like the "Let's Read and Find Out science" series for that age. Your library has them or you can pick them up cheap at local bookstores. They cover just about every science topic imaginable on a level written for very young children. Here's a partial list on their website:

http://www.harperchildrens.com/hch/lrfo/stage1.asp

Somewhere, someone has put together a list of topics in these books correlated to FIAR titles, though I don't have the link at the moment.

The other thing I've done with my 5-year old is lots of hands-on projects. For example, we raised Painted Lady butterflies from caterpillars. We have a tadpole that we are feeding and waiting for him to morph. We built a model of the solar system from a small kit I picked up for $5. You can make a science project out of just about anything- planting seeds and watching them grow, dissolving sugar in water and watching it recrystallize, etc. Of course, we also do lots of field trips- children's museum, zoo, aquarium, planetarium, local ice cream factory, etc.

Beth in FL
05-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Here's the list (http://www.homeschoolshare.com/letsreadfindoutscience.htm) of FIAR and corresponding Let's-Read-and-Find-Out titles you were referring to, katied. It's on Homeschool Share.

Julie in AZ
05-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Here's the list (http://www.homeschoolshare.com/letsreadfindoutscience.htm) of FIAR and corresponding Let's-Read-and-Find-Out titles you were referring to, katied. It's on Homeschool Share.

:yes: I love this series! :thumb: And how great to have a chart to match them up. It's perfect for science loving kids and FIAR!