PDA

View Full Version : Third Grade

Becky U
03-27-2014, 10:01 PM
The first grade thread got me curious to know what you are doing for third grade in addition to FIAR. I have pretty much decided but keep questioning myself. I am starting volume 4 with her next week. Thanks. :)

Leslie Nelsen
03-27-2014, 11:01 PM
For my current 3rd grader I am doing the following:

Bible
Math
Handwriting
Five in a Row

That's it for formal stuff. We add in some Explode the Code or other miscellaneous things, but we pretty much just do the basics at this age. :)

Miranda.in.WA
03-28-2014, 02:43 AM
For third grade I liked the A Reason For Handwriting and also Calculadders. Both of those my ds looked forward to.

Nedra in California
03-28-2014, 01:22 PM
My twins will be 3rd graders next year. What we will be doing:

FIAR (I jump between volumes as I schedule field trips to go along with book titles)
Catherine Vos Story Bible and Jesus Story Bible
Explode the Code 5 and 6 (use this for phonics, hand writing practice, and spelling)
Math-U-See
Chapter books/read aloud - We are reading through all of the American Girl Books along with group club activities
Independent reading
Sections of Simply Charlotte Mason's 106 Days of Creation Studies (to go along with schedule field trips)

Julie in FL
03-28-2014, 07:11 PM
My dd is 3rd this year and we are doing....

Bible
MUS/LOF
FIAR

Laura F
03-28-2014, 09:24 PM
My middle dd finished 3rd grade in December. Here's what she did:

FIAR Volume 4
Daily Grams
Horizons math
A Reason for Handwriting, Book D
Story of the World (with older dd)
Apologia science (with both sisters)
Awana for Bible

Heather W
04-03-2014, 10:10 AM
My third grader does Fred math and independent reading and writing as well.

Kelly Marie
04-03-2014, 02:37 PM
You all are making me think we do too much!

Here's my plan for 3rd next "year"
-Prima Latina
-Sequential Spelling
-BJU Reading 3
-I.E.W.?
-Saxon 3 and Life of Fred
-FIAR Vol 2 & 3, Unit Studies
-Rosetta Stone Spanish
-Horizons Health (cause our next state requires it)
-Apologia 'What We Believe' series for Bible, plus just reading the Bible

I say "next" year, because we are moving again in the fall, and I don't know when we actually start third grade work. I will also have a K'er and a one year old! Ack!

Paige P
04-08-2014, 12:51 PM
I have my 3rd 3rd grader this year :) We've done:

* Abeka 3rd grade math
* Abeka 3rd grade LA (this takes maybe 10 minutes)
* FIAR
* Bible -- various activities
* writing (not as much as his sisters did) -- weekly creative writings with a picture
* reading -- lots of it, whatever he chooses (with some guidance if I feel it's necessary)
* fiddle lessons
* Apologia Anatomy (as a tag-along with his big sisters -- never done this with any this young before, but I was doing it with the girls, so he's included).

Hollie in SC
04-08-2014, 01:09 PM
For my current 3rd grader I am doing the following:

Bible
Math
Handwriting
Five in a Row

That's it for formal stuff. We add in some Explode the Code or other miscellaneous things, but we pretty much just do the basics at this age. :)

That is what we did. :yes:

Shannon F.
04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
We do:
FIAR
Bible
Math
Phonics/LA
Chapter book read alouds
Song School Latin 1 - only because my girlie thinks it is fun and basically does it on her own

That's it and that is plenty!

Becky U
05-02-2014, 01:03 PM
I just realized I never replied after reading all the responses. Thank you so much everyone for sharing with me what you do for third grade. This has been very helpful. I don't know why but I suddenly freaked out about third grade. I'm ok now especially with all the responses.