PDA

View Full Version : How about a 4th grade thread?

Susie in MS
04-15-2014, 08:22 AM
If you are continuing with FIAR which level?
What do you add at this point?

I loved the 3rd grade thread!

Amy Joy
04-15-2014, 12:28 PM
This past year we did VOlume 4 for grade 4. We moved on to Beyond part way through the year. My dd also did Climbing to Good English, Life of Fred/Math U See, and Canadian Geography and Apologia Science. However, once we started Beyond we dropped Socials and Science.

Susie in MS
04-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Thank you for your post, Amy Joy. I find it interesting that you dropped the science and social once moving to BY. I can see that for sure.

KarenF
04-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Amy Joy (or anyone else)- why did you drop those? Is it built in well in Beyond? I have never looked at Beyond. Coukd you give more thoughts on Beyond? Thanks!

Susie in MS
04-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Karen, I hope Amy chimes in with her thoughts, but with BY there are books that are very heavy in either science or history. For instance Betsy Ross covered the Revolution, Ben Franklin and more well. Just from looking at Thomas Edison I can see a lot of hands on science in that one. With Boxcar Children we took the lessons on drought and potatoes and got books on the Dust Bowl and Irish Potato Famine. Plus we got a lot of science with The Amazing Potato book. Homer Price is a pretty light row, but still we got into the Trojan War and Horsepower. My dd and I are still holding out hoping to get a radio kit too. And I have only touched the surface. :)

KarenF
04-16-2014, 10:52 AM
That sounds great! I have actually never had my hands on a Beyond volume and I haven't looked at them on line either! I guess since I have been so far from getting there I have not bothered. We've been slow going!

Amy Joy
04-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Yes, that is exactly why we stopped Socials and Science. The BY books have so much to them that there is no need to add extra studies in those areas. My daughter also loved being back to studying what we were reading instead of "in addition" to it. We had completed one Apologia book on FLying Creatures and she enjoyed it, but wasn't looking forward to the next book I had which was Anatomy. :) With Socials, again there was so much in BY to study that we dropped out province studies. We had made it half way across Canada and will lightly do more next year to get through the rest of the provinces.

Amy Jacques
04-16-2014, 03:54 PM
My fourth grader has been doing Volume 4 this year. In addition to that, she does

Math-U-See Alpha
A Reason for Handwriting (Transition to Cursive)
All About Spelling Level 2-3
Drawn Into the Heart of Reading

And we've been doing an extra US Geography Curriculum this year.

Julie in FL
04-16-2014, 04:23 PM
My oldest will be in 4th grade next year and I've started tossing around what we will do...

FIAR (finish vol 3 if we don't over the summer) Vol 4 and maybe start BYFIAR
Math (if it stays the way it is now...Life of Fred)
Lots of rabbit trails :)

Writing is the only issue I can't decided on what to do? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!!! :D

AndreaD
04-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Our plans for next year- subject to change!

Piano practice and PE activities
Starting Beyond fiar
Math- ctc math, and various games
Growing with grammar
soaring with spelling
winning with writing, (all 3 are workbook based, but seem to work well for j)
Apologia human anatomy, or land or sea animals, haven't decided yet. Whichever j chooses.
Maybe story of the world. Maybe not- after seeing others drop this type of stuff when they start beyond

Laura F
04-16-2014, 08:57 PM
I have a 4th grader who is in her 1st semester. Currently she is doing

Horizons Math
Grammar Ace (with older sister)
Story of the World, Vol. 2 (with older sister)
Apologia Anatomy (with both sisters)
Total Language Plus

When we start back up in August, she'll still have another semester of 4th grade.

Beyond FIAR will replace TLP
Horizons Math
Grammar Ace was a dud; back to Daily Grams
Story of the World, Vol. 3 (with sisters)
Jay Wile's new science (with younger sister)

Grace and I rowed Volumes 1 and 2 of Beyond when she was in 4th grade. The titles are heavy on science and history; if we give up anything, it will be Jay Wile's new book.

Susie in MS
04-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Thank you all, very much! I like getting a feel for how others plan out their FIAR years. :) I'm still working out what we can and cannot do, but I always hope it includes FIAR!

Amy Jacques
04-18-2014, 10:25 PM
Hey everyone. I posted a few days ago about my 4th graders school this year...I made a mistake in the math, she's actually on the Gamma book. Sorry...I just now noticed it. Thanks for starting the post, it's been helpful for me too!

Miranda.in.WA
04-19-2014, 12:57 PM
In fourth grade, I think we started mind benders, or those Mr. Funksters think...workbooks. Those were fun.

Have you checked out Timberdoodle? They put together suggested grade packages and if I was ever thinking we might be lacking something, usually I'd get good ideas from their recommended packages by grade.

It would usually suggest that needed 'hands on' or 'critical thinking' component I wanted.

Shannon F.
04-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Next year we will be doing:
FIAR Vol. 4
BYFIAR Vol. 1
Singapore 3b-4a
Shurley Grammar
Logic of English - for spelling
Topics in American history - with field trips

That is all I have for now!

erin kate
05-09-2014, 09:30 AM
My rising 4th grader will be doing ...

FIAR 4 (alternating with some of Vols 1-3 with her younger siblings)
Beautiful Girlhood
Natural Science through the Seasons
Beast Academy
Life of Fred (finish Intermediate series)
Rod & Staff English 3
Bravewriter
AO free reading

As a family we will also study the Gospels and Ancient Rome with SCM, hymns, folksongs, artists, composers, Shakespeare, Plutarch, and we love our weekly poetry teatime and literature read alouds, especially My Book House.

RachelRentas
05-11-2014, 10:02 PM
I haven't been on the forums forever but glad I hopped on today and found this thread. I have a child finishing out third grade and we did not get through as much of Vol 4 as I had hoped. I was wondering if I should just scrap the rest of the books and move onto beyond next year, but it appears as if a lot of people are still using Vol 4 for fourth grade.
That's encouraging!

Shannon F.
05-17-2014, 11:43 PM
I have used Vol. 4 for fourth grade before and I found that it works really well. I think it allows children to really hone the skills taught in Vol. 1-3.

Lindsey Carter
05-18-2014, 09:21 AM
I have a 4th, 6th and 2nd grader. We started our school year in April. My 4th grader does..
-Beyond with her older brother (I've picked some units that go well with our history). We go heavy on the LA lessons, use it for writing, but only do some of the science, history and art lessons.
-Easy Peasy All In One Program Year 2 (science, art, music, history, Bible). All the dc work on this together.
-Verticy Phonics/Spelling (my 4th grader is dyslexic)
-Life of Fred, we are doing a review with her 2nd grade brother with the elementary series. She has some math struggles and angst, so this has been a gentle way to help reinforce some weak skills and do something fun.

JenM
06-04-2014, 10:41 PM
I haven't posted on here in a long time. My daughter will be going into 4th in the fall. I have a question that maybe you all can answer. what kind of history does Volume 4 and Beyond cover? I will be finishing up with the first 3 volumes. I have been trying to decide what to do for the fall. My daughter loves FIAR and asked to keep on doing it. I don't have that volume yet so I have no idea what is in it.