PDA

View Full Version : What did you use for high school US History?

laurie in ok
04-15-2014, 06:12 PM
I have a video series from the History Channel I want to use with something else, but I don't know what books/text I want to use. Any suggestions? I will also be doing something with my 7th grader as well, so if you have something you loved for middle school throw that in there also. :D

Becky in CA
04-15-2014, 07:10 PM
When my oldest was in HS, I used a Steck-Vaughn 2-volume set The Story of America (?) by Vivian Bernstein (?). It worked well for middle school with my dd as well. For my dd, when she was in HS, and now for my youngest, we're using the newer ACE US history. They all worked well at the time we used them.

CINDY LB OH
04-15-2014, 07:12 PM
My dd19 used a book called We Were There Too: Young People in U.S. History (http://www.amazon.com/We-Were-There-Too-History/dp/0374382522)as her jumping-off book for American History. She would then do more research about the event that was covered in each child's story. Sometimes the research was just a little bit of additional info, sometimes it was more extensive depending on her interest level of the topic. She loved it. Our library had the book, so we just used their copy for the entire year. No one else ever seemed to check it out. It's a fabulous book.

We just perused the library shelves for additional books, sometimes even lovely picture books. So don't discount picture books, they can really pack a punch, even in high school.

Leslie Nelsen
04-15-2014, 07:22 PM
We used Notgrass history. I haven't done a formal history in 7th grade with any of mine. Usually just reading books.

I'm doing the World Wars with my 2 middle school boys this year and we are piecing things as we go. ;)

Paige P
04-16-2014, 07:30 AM
Watching this thread with great interest :)

Cindy, that book looks wonderful! I just ordered a used, cheap copy from Amazon :D

Laurie, do you have a link for the History Channel video series you're using?

Laura JL
04-16-2014, 07:57 AM
I used Notgrass with dd and Sonlight Core 100 with ds.

I never use anything as written though so we added various resources or projects too ;)

Joy in Alabama
04-16-2014, 12:40 PM
I've used TruthQuest for most of the kids. And Beautiful Feet for one of them. I really like TQ because it combines world history with American and I feel like we see the whole timeline. And I give world history credit, too. BF was OK, but it's not as in depth and I probably won't use it again.

laurie in ok
04-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Here you go Paige: http://www.amazon.com/America-The-Story-Liev-Schreiber/dp/B003C27X44/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1397671481&sr=8-13&keywords=american+history+the+story+of+us

If you have amazon prime - it's one of the free things you can watch instantly. :)

laurie in ok
04-16-2014, 01:20 PM
I just ordered the book We Were There Too. It looks fabulous. I am going to add some research to it and the video series.

Julie in AZ
04-16-2014, 07:51 PM
We used Notgrass and documentaries. What we found was if one was a fit, for example, if we found a good documentary, the other one wasn't needed (he didn't need to read those chapters.) We used quite a bit of the Notgrass Literature that goes along with it too. Nice selection.

Paige P
04-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Laurie, we have that DVD series, and my dc love it :thumb: two of them enjoy watching it for fun :D

Robin in Colorado
04-17-2014, 08:41 AM
Oops, never mind.

Heather W
04-17-2014, 12:32 PM
We choose a topic for the year and I pull together resources- biographies, fiction, books about the time, etc.

shonda in ca
04-22-2014, 11:55 AM
I love the Hillsdale College online lectures. History 201 is colonial through the Reagan years.

https://online.hillsdale.edu/

Going to check out Laurie's History Channel docs on Prime! :thumb:

laurie in ok
05-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Shonda that looks really cool!

ShayChristie
05-08-2014, 07:49 PM
We like the Story of Us. :) For high school, we use Notgrass.

- - - Updated - - -

We like the Story of Us. :) For high school, we use Notgrass.