PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Kelly Marie
04-29-2014, 04:08 PM
This next year I'll be homeschooling my 3rd grader and K'er. The baby turns one in September.

I'm planning on rowing Volumes 2 & 3 with them. My question is: Are there any 3rd grade skills I need to make sure we cover with FIAR? Add anything, like extra research or writing?
Or can my 3rd grader just do it as written?

Math and language arts are covered.

I'm checking because I know many 8 year olds have moved up to Volume 4 or up to Beyond, and they have more challenging content. I'm trying to keep both of my dd's in a level together. :D

Amy Jacques
04-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Hi Kelly. I did my K & 2nd grader together with Volumes 1-3 (we mixed them up) one year. I felt like they both got enough out of the lessons & activities we did without adding to it. Also even when they moved up to 1st & 3rd we still did the same. And they both enjoyed it a lot. I just kept them on the same book & did it all together. When my oldest went into 4th grade, I moved her up to Volume 4. She does a lot of the lessons independently, and so I have gone back over some of the other books we had already done with my 2nd grader. They both love it and it's their favorite part of school everyday. Even with Volume 4, I feel like my 4th grader is getting plenty out of the lessons. I don't know if this helps or not, but just thought I'd share.

Miranda.in.WA
04-29-2014, 05:25 PM
I think it's enough :) as long as you're covering math and language arts, the manual as it is written is enough.

There are a lot of suggestions 'for your older students' that you could do.

Re-read the first couple of pages of both manuals. There are lots of good ideas that didn't pertain to me when my kids were super little, but now would work great.

Paige P
04-29-2014, 10:09 PM
I kept mine together at that we, too. By 3rd, mine were doing their own writing where I might have the younger one dictate to me. That's about the only difference I've made. They can also read more go-alongside if they're interested.

Heather W
04-30-2014, 08:53 AM
I think it depends on how she does with it when you get going. Two of my third graders were very content to learn alongside a younger sibling. Two of them were/are not. My current and last third grader is bucking all the FIAR fun! He is just NOT a repeater. He remembers everything and learns quickly.

Would you believe he is not interested in repeating books that HE was a tag along for??? So caution! I pulled out Thomas Edison because he loves science and he remembers too much of the books and lesson. It was a dud.

My answer? It depends on your student!

Rena
05-04-2014, 02:15 AM
So, Heather W, what do you do, then? Are you having to come up with all new activities for him? I'm a little worried about the same thing happening with my son. He's been happy to tag along with older sister, and I'm not sure how much he'll remember of the early books we rowed, but I'm wondering if at some point he will rebel, just because he wants to be "different" from what older sis has done.

Heather W
05-05-2014, 08:15 AM
So, Heather W, what do you do, then? Are you having to come up with all new activities for him? I'm a little worried about the same thing happening with my son. He's been happy to tag along with older sister, and I'm not sure how much he'll remember of the early books we rowed, but I'm wondering if at some point he will rebel, just because he wants to be "different" from what older sis has done.

:lol: Rena! My son IS different than his siblings!

To be truthful, he rowed FIAR books when he was younger all the ones we always loved. But, he is not the sort of student who will row at the FIAR level at this point. Much like his oldest brother, he is ready for Beyond. However, Tom Edison was not a hit because he was old enough to remember details that he learned from when his older siblings rowed it. I've had kids (even the oldest) row a BY book twice. So, it really does depend on the child.

This particular student of mine is fiercely independent and although I could announce that this is what we are doing, I know the experience will not be a rich one so I present other options. This year we've been studying scientists and their biographies and doing experiments related to their work. He does his writing around that and keeps a lab notebook. I have incorporated BY books along the way. I was excited for Thomas Edison because it's one of my favorites!

We are winding down for the year and doing a study on Louis Pasteur, but I think we'll start the new year with Marie Curie (another BY book). He adores chemistry and loves to read about radioactive materials. None of my kids have rowed Marie in a really long time- long before he would remember anything! ;)

So, yes, this student requires a constant press on the learning curve. It keeps me busy.