PDA

View Full Version : KWL chart???

Miranda.in.WA
04-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Do you use? With what age? How do you use it? Any info would be helpful. I'm utilizing our FIAR notebook builder more and more and haven't a clue what to do with these sheets :)

Heather W
04-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Not much to it. I used to use it in my classroom a lot. KWL is short for Know, Wonder, Learn

Before you begin teaching a concept or book or whatever, you have your students list out what they think they already KNOW in the the K column.

Then have them list out what they WANT to know or what they WONDER about the topic. (W)

After you teach the concept, you have the kids fill out the L column for what they have LEARNED.

The chart is most valuable for an educator to note any misconceptions students might have about a topic. You can also see what it is they are interested in knowing.

The final column makes a great way to summarize the information they have learned when it's all over.

You'd have to decide how much value it will have for you in your homeschool. For a big class it gives you specific information and is a great time filler! ;) In a homeschool it is nice for practicing writing, but I imagine you know what your kids are thinking on the whole.

I'd reserve it for really big concepts.

ETA- I used it with 6th and 7th graders, but it could be modified up or down.

Julie in FL
04-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Do you use? With what age? How do you use it? Any info would be helpful. I'm utilizing our FIAR notebook builder more and more and haven't a clue what to do with these sheets :)

I've wondered the same thing. Thanks Heather for the explanation. :D

Laura F
05-01-2014, 12:54 PM
I just learned something new, Heather! I used to use KWL charts in my classroom all the time at the beginning of units. No one explained the specifics of KWL, and I just decided it was what you already Know, what you Want to know, and then what you Learned!

Miranda.in.WA
05-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks Heather :) that does help a lot.

One of my goals with my little ones is to help them learn to articulate their thoughts and what they know into writing.

My big boys really struggled with that in their high school years and I believe its because #1 they are boys, and #2 I never had them do it.

So we will try these on occasion now I have an idea of how to use them :)